Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Techtool Protection Alert

This pop-up keeps coming up randomly throughout the day, usu after my laptop goes to sleep and I wake it up. Recently I had some work done on my laptop (an IT professional added/changed my storage as I was running low) and I wonder if it is because of that because I have never seen this pop up before now, and I have owned my laptop for years.

At first I thought this was a virus but googling it shows it is somehow attached to macbook.

Can anyone explain the purpose of this?

Where do I find where it is coming from, there is nothing under Launchpad, and I am not sure where to find it in system preferences - can anyone help with this stuff?

What is the purpose of techtool, is it necessary for any reason or can I delete it, erase or minimize it? If yes, can you provide specific detailed instructions on how to do this please?

This is all brand new to me, I have never had to deal with it before.

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 8:28 PM

What is the purpose of techtool, is it necessary for any reason or can I delete it, erase or minimize it?

It is not necessary. It should be deleted.

If yes, can you provide specific detailed instructions on how to do this please?

Not really. You would need to ask the alleged "IT professional" just what he or she installed and why. Not that it matters since "TechTool" serves no beneficial purpose on Macs.

Try contacting its developer, here: https://www.micromat.com/contact/

If you don't get anywhere please write back for more suggestions. In the meantime be sure to back up your Mac, if for no other reason that uninstalling things you have no knowledge of installing involves an element of risk.

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

To confirm your Mac's battery is in fact working properly please read Check the condition of your Mac laptop’s battery - Apple Support.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2023 8:28 PM in response to s214

What is the purpose of techtool, is it necessary for any reason or can I delete it, erase or minimize it?

It is not necessary. It should be deleted.

If yes, can you provide specific detailed instructions on how to do this please?

Not really. You would need to ask the alleged "IT professional" just what he or she installed and why. Not that it matters since "TechTool" serves no beneficial purpose on Macs.

Try contacting its developer, here: https://www.micromat.com/contact/

If you don't get anywhere please write back for more suggestions. In the meantime be sure to back up your Mac, if for no other reason that uninstalling things you have no knowledge of installing involves an element of risk.

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

To confirm your Mac's battery is in fact working properly please read Check the condition of your Mac laptop’s battery - Apple Support.

Nov 3, 2023 5:25 AM in response to John Galt

Good Day,

Thank you for your reply. I found Techtools in the system preference and checked off all of the check marks associated with it, I haven't noticed a pop-up since then, hopefully that is the end of it and as you say it serves no purpose on my mac anyway. Thank you for the link to checking the battery life, mine is fine thus far.

I think I am good to go now - Thank you!

Stephanie

Techtool Protection Alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.