Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I downgrade my iPhone 11 from iOS 17 to iOS 16?

i bought an 11 and it was upgraded to iOS 17.1. the display is bad and i'm trying to downgrade it to iOS 16 but there's no apple signed firmware for that.

i also do not have the option of visiting an apple store

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2023 9:57 PM

An in addition, AIRDROP and photos transfer through message while in the photos app are NO LONGER working to transfer photos to other devices in iOS 17.2!

that is walking backwards!

one should be able to return to the previous version DUE TO THE LOST IN DEVICE’S FUNCTIONALITY with the FAULTY SOFTWARE UPDATE!

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2023 9:57 PM in response to benndavidd

An in addition, AIRDROP and photos transfer through message while in the photos app are NO LONGER working to transfer photos to other devices in iOS 17.2!

that is walking backwards!

one should be able to return to the previous version DUE TO THE LOST IN DEVICE’S FUNCTIONALITY with the FAULTY SOFTWARE UPDATE!

Feb 29, 2024 5:00 AM in response to vartam76

Downgrading to iOS 16 is the least of your worries (downgrading iOS is NOT supported anyway). You bought a used iPhone, which is Activation Locked. Unless you know the Apple ID and Password used to set up the phone, it is 100% useless to you. If you can't reach the person who set up the phone, it is useless to you. Apple won't help you unlock the phone and no one here can help you unlock the phone. As it stands, you bought a nice paperweight you simply cannot use. If you can get your money back try. If you can't get your money back, recycle the phone responsibly.

Read this --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Mar 6, 2024 2:47 PM in response to JustLetMePickAUsername

JustLetMePickAUsername wrote:

Thank you so much for having me update my iPhone SE second generation to iOS 17 to back it up, then making iOS 17 not compatible with the iPhone X, then not making it possible to downgrade my iOS version on the old phone. now I’ve got to spend another couple of hours finding some way to fix this. Cheers

Why are you thanking the Author of this thread who doesn't work for Apple and had absolutely NOTHING to do with your issue? If you thought you were thanking Apple, you weren't. This is a user to user only forum, which Apple Doesn't actively participate in.

How do I downgrade my iPhone 11 from iOS 17 to iOS 16?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.