Where are all my files on icloud?

I just deselected icloud bs because I kept getting annoying notifications and now I see all my desktop items and documents are gone. I'm on icloud in a web browser and I see no files. How do I access them? Supposedly my 5GB is full, so WHERE ARE MY FILES?????

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 7:34 PM

iCloud does not back up a Mac. When you elect to sync content, it remains on your Mac and is synced with iCloud (to sync across all of your devices). If you turn off the desktop and documents option in iCloud Drive settings, those files are moved to iCloud only and a new desktop and new documents folder created on your Mac.

You can access your files at iCloud.com or by navigating to finder and selecting iCloud Drive.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2023 7:34 PM in response to CSan2C

iCloud does not back up a Mac. When you elect to sync content, it remains on your Mac and is synced with iCloud (to sync across all of your devices). If you turn off the desktop and documents option in iCloud Drive settings, those files are moved to iCloud only and a new desktop and new documents folder created on your Mac.

You can access your files at iCloud.com or by navigating to finder and selecting iCloud Drive.

Nov 26, 2023 12:49 PM in response to CSan2C

I gotta say though, it's the computer equivalent of cancer. I had icloud turned off, was putting files on the desktop, and then I noticed some kind of file transfer taking place and apparently icloud turned itself back on so I turned it off AGAIN and ALL the files I had on the desktop disappeared. I'd REALLY like to meet whoever it was that came up with this backup scheme. What can I do to appease the Apple gods in order to get my files back????

Where are all my files on icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.