2023 MacBook Air M2 15" 16 Ram 512Gb Sonoma freezes, no apparent reason?

Today Sat. Nov 4th/23, My approx 3 weeks old MacBook Air froze just browsing web using Safari and earlier using *Find My* to adjust settings for notifications.

I couldn't get it to respond at all, tried using Apple Menu in top left to shut down and nothing would happen.

I finally figured out holding the finger print sensor key down long enough shut it down.

Yes, I'm new to Mac systems. Is there a way to figure out what's going on?

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 2:48 PM

9 replies

Nov 4, 2023 7:07 PM in response to herman7

"2023 MacBook Air M2 15" 16 Ram 512Gb Sonoma freezes, no apparent reason?: [...]Yes, I'm new to Mac systems. Is there a way to figure out what's going on?"

-------

Finding Out why Something Occurred:

Use the Console App:

1. Go to: Applications > Utilities. > Console.app
  2. Click: system.log on the left
  3. Look for: the approximate time this would have occurred.

What shows? There may have been a crashed app.

Nov 4, 2023 9:02 PM in response to herman7

herman7 Said:

"Everything seemed fine once it shut down and restarted, I haven’t installed any antivirus software as I was informed it wasn’t necessary as you mentioned. I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a recurring theme and in case it was I thought I’d ask here and get a get an informed response from the collective wisdom, Thanks."

-------

You are welcome.

For note...

Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac. Note that Malwarebytes is an app that is developed by long time users of these forums, making it the only Security Software for an Apple device.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Nov 4, 2023 6:27 PM in response to herman7

For sure, you shouldn't be having any issues with your new MBA.

So I see you were able to shut it down. When you restarted, did things return to normal or are you still experiencing issues?

Since you said you're new to Macs, I'd ask if you've installed any anti-virus, "Mac Cleaners", "Mac Optimizers" or VPN software on this Mac? If so, use the manufacturer's uninstaller to erase them from your Mac....they're simply not needed on a Mac, and almost always create more issues than they prevent. Simply dragging the app's icon to the trash doesn't rid your Mac of everything...hence my statement about using their respective uninstallers.

Hope this helps.

Nov 4, 2023 8:42 PM in response to MacMikeInOK

Everything seemed fine once it shut down and restarted, I haven’t installed any antivirus software as I was informed it wasn’t necessary as you mentioned.

I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a recurring theme and in case it was I thought I’d ask here and get an get an informed response from the collective wisdom, Thanks.

2023 MacBook Air M2 15" 16 Ram 512Gb Sonoma freezes, no apparent reason?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.