got scammed twice using google's apple support number, would like my phone checked out

no more details

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 4:04 PM

If you got scammed because you called an advertised number, then you need to change your passwords and if you shared your screen or other info, contact your financial institution and report possible fraud. Erasing your device make sense if you did.

2 replies

Nov 5, 2023 7:26 AM in response to poiuytrewq7485

There is nothing wrong with your phone. And Apple is not involved in this.

The root cause of your problem is a search engine (Google in this case) selling high placement of ads without bothering to verify them as real. Customers of every tech company have been victims. I ever saw one purported to be an appliance company's support number, but was not.

You were hooked by a scam that has been around almost as long as search engines. Once people discovered web search could be monetized, concern for users went out the window.

NEVER look for support numbers on a search engine. You will get burned unless you careful note AND understand domain names, which are sometimes not obvious in search engine displays.

You go the companies web site—apple.com is easy enough to remember. So is microsoft.com, or hp.com.

You can report the scam to Google but I hold little hope for that helping. You are not worth as much money to them as are the scammers.

got scammed twice using google's apple support number, would like my phone checked out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.