Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why is the legacyScreenSaver process using such a large amount of RAM, specifically 1.3 GB?

Since I upgraded to Sonoma, I have seen this process in the activity monitor, which uses around 1.3 GB of RAM.

How can I disable it?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 1:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2024 1:22 AM

If you go into activity monitor click on the legacy screen saver and click the information icon, you should see a quit button on the bottom left corner of that box click on it and you can quit/ force quit the process.

7 replies

Dec 26, 2023 1:57 PM in response to Filip369

I am having the same issue. I also use my own wallpaper (one from my camera roll) and the fliqlo screensaver. The screensaver just recently became a process for my computer which it used not to be. In the picture below it isn't using much storage but it's gone as high as 15gb and my computer only have 8gb or RAM. I have also noticed it has started to slow down my Macbook and am looking for a fix.

Why is the legacyScreenSaver process using such a large amount of RAM, specifically 1.3 GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.