Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Disable Album Artwork in Apple Music

I want to disable album artwork in Apple Music because so much of it is explicit. Turning off explicit songs in Screen Time settings doesn't fix it.

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 12:52 PM

After a bit more research, I found a workaround. Blocking mzstatic.com with the CovenantEyes VPN blocks album artwork while still allowing streaming music. I presume any other app that can block websites will do the same.

Note that this does have side effects depending on the device, because other Apple services use mzstatic.com as well. The App Store simply doesn't work on my Mac (but does on my iPhone, without images). On my iPhone, I can only stream music in my library. The other functions (browse, search, etc.) do not work.

Personally, I'm OK with this. When I need the affected services, I just unblock the website temporarily.

Side note: some album artwork was already downloaded and cached when I blocked the mzstatic.com. I was able to remove the cached artwork in Finder by using Go > Go To Folder (Shift-Command-G), typing ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Music/MusicUIArtworkCache, and pressing Return. I deleted all the files in this folder.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2023 12:52 PM in response to clausworks

After a bit more research, I found a workaround. Blocking mzstatic.com with the CovenantEyes VPN blocks album artwork while still allowing streaming music. I presume any other app that can block websites will do the same.

Note that this does have side effects depending on the device, because other Apple services use mzstatic.com as well. The App Store simply doesn't work on my Mac (but does on my iPhone, without images). On my iPhone, I can only stream music in my library. The other functions (browse, search, etc.) do not work.

Personally, I'm OK with this. When I need the affected services, I just unblock the website temporarily.

Side note: some album artwork was already downloaded and cached when I blocked the mzstatic.com. I was able to remove the cached artwork in Finder by using Go > Go To Folder (Shift-Command-G), typing ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Music/MusicUIArtworkCache, and pressing Return. I deleted all the files in this folder.

Disable Album Artwork in Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.