Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I permanently remove app icons from bar at the top of my mac screen?

I have deleted malware bytes app but the 'M' icon is still at the top. I followed the instructions provided elsewhere in this forum and it worked (via utilities) but next time I turned on it was back. I have repeated the instruction but don't really want to do this every day. Any further suggestions would be welcome. I am on Big Sur OS.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 10, 2023 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2023 7:46 AM

Some third-party applications that place an icon on the menu extras area of the menu bar may have a menu associated with the icon that includes quit and that removes the icon, or a proper application uninstall such as in Malwarebytes does the removal for you. And some poorly written third-party applications require you to cmd+drag the icon out over the Desktop and release to remove it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2023 7:46 AM in response to jetbeginner

Some third-party applications that place an icon on the menu extras area of the menu bar may have a menu associated with the icon that includes quit and that removes the icon, or a proper application uninstall such as in Malwarebytes does the removal for you. And some poorly written third-party applications require you to cmd+drag the icon out over the Desktop and release to remove it.

How do I permanently remove app icons from bar at the top of my mac screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.