My Mac Mini M2 suddenly appears to be broken after just nearly 6 months

Hello there. Today I wanted to power on my base model Mac Mini M2 as usual, but nothing happened. The computer has been in use for almost 6 months without any issues.

Nothing of the usual recovery steps worked. I did try to unplug it for 10-15 seconds. I also pressed the power button for 10 seconds. No signs of life.

Does anyone have other suggestions to try? Or does it look like a broken SSD chip or power supply? We had no power outages or anything else.

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 4:45 AM

If the LED on the front does not light up, it is likely the power supply is dead. Even if it is on, there could still be a power supply issue.

If not power supply, there can be any number of things on the logic board preventing the Mini from starting up.

Regardless of trying to guess what the issue may possibly be, a trip to an Apple Store or an Authorized Apple Service Provider is in order.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2023 4:45 AM in response to marrotijn

If the LED on the front does not light up, it is likely the power supply is dead. Even if it is on, there could still be a power supply issue.

If not power supply, there can be any number of things on the logic board preventing the Mini from starting up.

Regardless of trying to guess what the issue may possibly be, a trip to an Apple Store or an Authorized Apple Service Provider is in order.

Nov 11, 2023 1:31 PM in response to marrotijn

Since your Mini M2 isn't powering on despite basic troubleshooting, consider checking the power supply with a different outlet or adapter, as issues there are common yet often overlooked. Also, try connecting to an external display to rule out internal display problems, and observe any external indicators like lights or sounds when attempting to power on. Additionally, resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) might help, as it governs many low-level functions on Mac devices. Listen for any beeps during startup, as these can diagnose hardware issues like RAM problems. If these steps don't resolve the issue, it's likely a more serious hardware problem, possibly with the SSD or power supply. Since your device is relatively new, it should still be under warranty, so reaching out to Apple Support or visiting an authorized service provider is a good next step. They can offer a professional diagnosis and repair, ensuring your Mini M2 is back to working order. Remember, such technical issues can happen unexpectedly and are not necessarily due to any misuse.

Nov 11, 2023 2:00 PM in response to Jps_13

Thank you for your quick answer.

Is a SMC reset still applicable for Apple Silicon Macs? From a web search I understood M series have no SMC to reset like with an Intel Mac.

Luckily it indeed is still under full warranty, but it always is a hassle to probably have no computer for a week or what. I hope this is just bad luck with my first Apple Silicon Mac and their soldered on storage chips. I have used multiple Intel machines without any problems. My 2007 iMac with mechanical hard drive still boots without problems to this day (nostalgia, I sometimes miss this era of early 2000 to 2015 Macs and components you could insert and check yourself before reaching out to Apple ☺️).

My Mac Mini M2 suddenly appears to be broken after just nearly 6 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.