Unable to "export unmodified original" photos to SSD

Trying to transfer photos to an external SSD, using the "export unmodified original" option, but getting an error when I try this: "the file couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it"

Trying to transfer a large number of files, but I get the error when I try to transfer a lot or even just a single file.

I've confirmed that the SSD is readable/writable - I can export the unmodified original photo to local storage, then copy that over to the SSD. I can also shoot ProRes video directly onto this SSD, and read files off of it.

SSD: SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD, 1TB, model SDSSDE60-1T00. Formatted as exFAT.

Connected via USB 3 speed USB-C cable to my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Any ideas?

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 11:53 AM

8 replies

Feb 12, 2024 3:15 PM in response to aeon17

Seeing same issue trying to export videos/photos from Iphone 15 Pro to a Samsung T9 SSD. Not sure why export unmodified original has the issue, but it may be with videos/photos that were imported into my phone and not shot natively. In the couple example filenames it complained about, they were videos I had imported from another camera source into my phone at some point in the past. As a workaround, It appears that using the "Save to Files" option instead of the Export Unmodified Original seems to work and not have permissions issues. I'm not sure if there's a downside to using Save to Files vs Export.

Feb 22, 2024 9:39 PM in response to Native0ne

I am having the same issue every since I replaced my old phone with iphone 15 pro max. And because of the usb c port, I figured it is finally time for me to backup all my photo to a external ssd.

Having the same issue as the OP mentioned above, I also figured the "Save to FIles" is a workaround, HOWEVER,

Save to Files will remove meta data, the time these photo and video was original taken was replaced with the time this Save action happened which is not ideal(not sure about GPS information, havent taken a look at that). Also it saves the edited files rather than the original, meaning if you have a video you edit(shortened) in you photo and use save feature, it will save the shortened one rather than the full lenght one, not ideal!!!

Feb 25, 2024 5:05 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Yeah I think the modified date will show the day it’s copied when you save to files but the picture meta data still seems to preserve the date the photo was taken and the location data. If you swipe up on the photo you can still see all the correct meta data. Then saving to camera roll from that file save still comes back into camera roll with correct meta data. So I think it’s not losing anything but correct me if I’m mistaken.

Feb 25, 2024 5:46 PM in response to Matti Haveri

I will definitely try that. Thanks.

But when I encountered this issue, I also tried to use internal storage rather than external SSD, exporting to internal storage also gave the same error. And I assume internal storage should statisfiy whatever iOS requires.

Have you try export a big batch of files? Cuz whenever I export small batch like 10 to 50, it works. But once the file count goes to 500, or 50GB, it never worked. So I suspected the issue is related to some internal limitation of file size/count.

May 6, 2024 1:20 AM in response to aeon17

While Apple support tells you to export unmodified originals to save to an external drive, it will not work on my iPhone 15. However, when I choose "Save to Files" instead and use "Browse" at the top left to navigate to the external drive, that works just fine. Maybe it won't export the original unedited images but at least it saves them at all.

Unable to "export unmodified original" photos to SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.