Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Is Firewire working in macOS 12.7.1?

I have two Firewire drives that have been working fine until macOS 12.7.1 was installed. Now they power up, spin up but do not mount. Pulled the bare drives, inserted into a toaster and they work fine, so I expect Apple killed Firewire off since both drive housings have the same failure. Would have been nice if the update info had made a BIG NOTICE about killing FIrewire.

Drives hooked up via Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptors on a Mac Pro 2013. And yes, I swapped adaptors, ports, cables ...

Mac Pro, macOS 12.7

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 12:34 PM

10 replies

Mar 17, 2024 5:01 PM in response to ogihal

Sorry for jumping in here, it's been a while. Could you be kind and confirm you were able to run MacOS 12.7.0 on your system with Firewire 800 ports? I assume you were running it with a patch or boot-loader so not official if the machine has 800 ports and running MacOS 12.7 because that is exactly what I intend to do.

Officially the Firewire support was up to Catalina 15.7, but that Firewire support was for any Firewire function. All I need is as you describe the external drive support so that the Firewire drives mount. The machine has no USB3 or Thunderbolt so Firewire is the only option for this.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2024 5:52 AM in response to ogihal

eBay. LaCie made a few portable Thunderbolt 2 hard drives that you can unscrew and mount via SATA the drives. Be careful, as not all of the drives have Thunderbolt 2. They all have Orange rubber cases that can be pulled off, and all only support 2.5" SATA drives.

LaCie also briefly made a 3.5" SATA Thunderbolt 2 D2 drive case. Those are a pain in the neck to take part, but if successful you can add your 3.5" SATA drives.

Nov 13, 2023 1:22 PM in response to ogihal

I believe the last Mac that Apple sold with Firewire 800 ports was in 2012… and expecting Apple to provide legacy firewire device support in the operating system for eleven years afterward may be over optimistic since they have already dropped support for HFS formatted drives. I migrated my Firewire drive content to USB storage years ago.

As we are fellow users and the Apple product teams do not participate here, we have no radar as to when they will drop older functionality in the operating system. It doesn't have to happen with the release of an upgrade, it could happen in a point update as Apple has demonstrated in the past.

Is Firewire working in macOS 12.7.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.