Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Restoring previous backup after indicating not to backup apps

I just switched iPhones but was unable to backup the new phone from a previous phone backup, because new phone was on ios16. How do I now restore from previous backup?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 8:02 PM

In case someone else sees this, please disregard @thelittles responses, they are misinformed. Erase all your content and settings and you can restore from your previous back up. Just do it relatively quickly so you have still have a recent backup available.

6 replies

Nov 12, 2023 7:20 PM in response to erikah242

erikah242 Said:

"Restoring previous backup after indicating not to backup apps: I just switched iPhones but was unable to backup the new phone from a previous phone backup, because new phone was on ios16. How do I now restore from previous backup?"

-------

Troubleshooting Deleted Messages:

Restoring iPhone 13 with iOS 16 from an iOS15 Backup:

You Can't. To be able to restore your iPhone from a backup, the backup would need to be of the same iOS version that is installed on your device. That's just he way Apple has it.

Nov 12, 2023 7:58 PM in response to erikah242

erikah242 Said:

"Ok I’ll take it back to Apple Store and have them replace because not having my last backup is not an option."

-------

Let us know the results.

Genius Bar Appointment:

IMPORTANT: Prior to taking this in for service, set up a Genius Bar Appointment at your local Apple Store. If you don't set one up, getting ths service may be revoked, if they are busy and full of customers.

Restoring previous backup after indicating not to backup apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.