iTunes Version 12.13.0.9 keeps freezing on Windows 11

I recently bought a new computer and installed everything from scratch, then imported my music files into iTunes. At first everything seemed normal, then some software update came along, which I installed. Ever since then, iTunes keeps randomly freezing in place (music that plays keeps playing) and requires me to force-quit it via task manager if I want to regain control.

This is very annoying and has never happened in years of me running iTunes on Windows 10.

Another updated seemed to have briefly solved the issue, but with the newest version it has returned. iTunes is **** near unusable in this state.

The computer did come with some sort of Antivirus Software by Norton but I can't seem to find how to exclude iTunes folders from its scanning. I am running itunes as an administrator. It also appears as if the freezing happens particularly when I am trying to browse/search/play stuff from my personal library and less when browsing/using Apple Music content.

Any tips on how to stop this from happening?

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 4:05 PM

I had the same problem. There's a temporary quick fix, if you right click and "run as admin", iTunes runs as it should. I kind of got tired of this so I downgraded to 12.13, waiting for a permanent fix from Apple. If we ever get it, seems like its a major issue happening without an official answer from Apple.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2023 4:05 PM in response to TJK02

I had the same problem. There's a temporary quick fix, if you right click and "run as admin", iTunes runs as it should. I kind of got tired of this so I downgraded to 12.13, waiting for a permanent fix from Apple. If we ever get it, seems like its a major issue happening without an official answer from Apple.

Nov 26, 2023 7:30 PM in response to slothjockey

This started happening to me after a Microsoft update in summer 2023. I can make iTunes freeze by deleting an item from my Apple Music library, but it also happens randomly. I am not using a third-party antivirus tool with Windows 11.

Last I used the Android app, it took forever to load since my Apple Music library is almost 100,000 songs. Also you cannot edit star ratings, smart playlists etc.

So I have been living with iTunes freezing, and waiting for it to check the library for a minute when I restart it. (So far no corruption, but I do File/Library/Export weekly just in case.)

Even if there is music playing, I know it froze because the minute/second timer stops and the progress bar stops, and then the music stops at the end of the track.

Feb 7, 2024 10:26 PM in response to BongooBetty

@BongooBetty may have the fix! I would not have noticed that because I turned off "Show: List view checkboxes" in Edit/Preferences/General (see picture below).

1. I turned them on, went to Songs under Library (see picture below), did the ctrl-click on the first checkbox, and waited awhile (I have close to the 100,000 song limit in my library).
  2. When they were all unchecked, I turned the checkboxes back off, closed iTunes, and waited until the Windows Volume Mixer (right-click on the volume icon in the system tray, see picture below) no longer showed iTunes.
  3. When I started iTunes again, the progress indicator at the top right spun for many minutes saying "Making your iCloud Music Library available..." but I could play downloaded songs meanwhile (see picture below). The spinner froze for awhile a few times, but it always came back (similar to File/Library/Update iCloud Music Library).
  4. I turned on the checkboxes to make sure they were all still unchecked, and turned them off again. iTunes worked smoothly while I removed and added songs!
  5. I turned the checkboxes on to double-check, and realized that all the songs I had just added were checked, so I decided to leave them visible so I will notice when any are checked.
  6. However, next time I started iTunes I got a warning: "Unchecked items don't play in a playlist" etc. (see picture below). So I will keep the checkboxes turned off usually, and once a week turn them on to uncheck any that are checked (easy if I sort the Songs view by Date Added).
  7. iTunes still stops responding occasionally, but the difference is that I can see in Windows Task Manager (ctrl-shift-Esc, see picture below) that it is working hard, whereas before its CPU% would be zero when it froze, and I would have to select it and click End Task, so I could restart it.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 9, 2024 3:33 AM in response to slothjockey

I agree that iTunes has been freezing for me since it was upgraded to 12.9.4 last year (see separate conversation on this issue - search for 'My iTunes 12.9.4 keeps freezing')

It regularly froze for me in Windows 10 since that version, and now on Windows 11 (on a new PC, so clean install) on the updated versions.

It happens randomly, but often when doing anything that requires interaction with the cloud data (e.g. setting up a new playlist, or even just un-checking a song.)

I do use Norton - but have done for years, so not sure that is the issue.

Feb 9, 2024 10:08 PM in response to aon1961

Agreed unfortunately, although I believe it is freezing less, it does still happen, especially after adding or deleting songs from my Apple Music library. The fact that the CPU usage is zero makes me think it is NOT related to the size of my library being almost the maximum, but is anyone else here almost at the 100,000 item limit?

Feb 10, 2024 12:30 AM in response to slothjockey

Hopefully this might help some of you. I had the same bizarre freezing issue after an update across multiple computers I have.

After searching, I found a solution.

MY SOLUTION/FIX: Do not download & install iTunes Music from the apple website, even if you update from a past build, the freeze will still occurr.

Download ITunes Music directly from the Microsoft store inside windows. This was my fix and worked on all my setups. Good luck!

Apr 19, 2024 6:13 PM in response to TazBro

It seems to have gotten worse; just going to any Apple Music (For You or Browse) or Store tabs in iTunes, and then returning to the Library tab, it usually freezes soon after, even if I haven't added or removed anything from my library. On the other hand, if I stay on the Library tab, I can sometimes delete quite a few tracks from my library before it freezes.

iTunes Version 12.13.0.9 keeps freezing on Windows 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.