Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Sonoma CSPNEvaluation sleep issue

After upgrading to Sonoma 14.1.1 I tealized that a wake request named CSPNEvaluation is scheduled immediately after sleep is initiated by the user! This causes the machine to wake up after a specified time (typically 7200 secs, i.e. 2 hours).Does anybody know what CSPNEvaluation does? Is there a way to avoid this request?

Best regards

Mac Pro, macOS 12.5

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 7:26 AM

@vsw62, I found the term CoreSmartPowerNap by de-compiling the powerd process

Having investigated this further I found that there is a MacOS FeatureFlag for enabling CoreSmartPowerNap in powerd.plist in the system folder /System/Library/FeatureFlags/Domain/

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>CoreSmartPowerNap</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Enabled</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

We cant change this plist directly because the file is in the secure system enclave but another user pointed out that we can override MacOS FeatureFlags by setting in them in the /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/ folder.

I've tried this approach and since implementing I have not seen any CSPNEvaluation wake reasons.

If you want to try this for yourself do the following :-

1. Open Terminal

2. Create the folder structure in terminal with: sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/

3. Copy the above code into a editor and change the boolean flag <true/> to <false/>

4. Save the file as powerd.plist into the new folder: /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/

5. Reboot

Many thanks to the user who gave me the tip on using /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/ as a way to override system defined FeatureFlags.

Please post if you find this works.

Cheers

Jay

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2023 7:26 AM in response to vsw62

@vsw62, I found the term CoreSmartPowerNap by de-compiling the powerd process

Having investigated this further I found that there is a MacOS FeatureFlag for enabling CoreSmartPowerNap in powerd.plist in the system folder /System/Library/FeatureFlags/Domain/

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>CoreSmartPowerNap</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Enabled</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

We cant change this plist directly because the file is in the secure system enclave but another user pointed out that we can override MacOS FeatureFlags by setting in them in the /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/ folder.

I've tried this approach and since implementing I have not seen any CSPNEvaluation wake reasons.

If you want to try this for yourself do the following :-

1. Open Terminal

2. Create the folder structure in terminal with: sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/

3. Copy the above code into a editor and change the boolean flag <true/> to <false/>

4. Save the file as powerd.plist into the new folder: /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/

5. Reboot

Many thanks to the user who gave me the tip on using /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/ as a way to override system defined FeatureFlags.

Please post if you find this works.

Cheers

Jay

Nov 15, 2023 10:42 AM in response to vsw62

I know lots of other users are seeing this issue in Sonoma

pmset -g log | grep "Wake Request"

2023-11-12 00:58:57 +0000 Wake Requests       	[*process=powerd request=CSPNEvaluation deltaSecs=27742 wakeAt=2023-11-12 08:41:19]           
2023-11-12 08:42:17 +0000 Wake Requests       	[*process=powerd request=CSPNEvaluation deltaSecs=7204 wakeAt=2023-11-12 10:42:22]           
2023-11-12 10:43:21 +0000 Wake Requests       	[*process=powerd request=CSPNEvaluation deltaSecs=3603 wakeAt=2023-11-12 11:43:25]           
2023-11-12 11:44:24 +0000 Wake Requests       	[*process=powerd request=CSPNEvaluation deltaSecs=3604 wakeAt=2023-11-12 12:44:28]           
2023-11-12 12:45:27 +0000 Wake Requests       	[*process=powerd request=CSPNEvaluation deltaSecs=3604 wakeAt=2023-11-12 13:45:31]           
2023-11-12 13:46:30 +0000 Wake Requests       	[*process=powerd request=CSPNEvaluation deltaSecs=3604 wakeAt=2023-11-12 14:46:34]  

Even though PowerNap is disabled via System Settings or pmset terminal command (tried both).

CSPN = CoreSmartPowerNap Service which appears to be managed by the powerd kernel process.

My 2020 iMac (intel) wakes around 9 times in a twelve hour sleep period with this sleep reason.

It's possible that it is a bug in Sonoma or maybe a deliberate move by Apple.

Not much information on the problem so far,

Apple if your reading, this please understand that sleep means SLEEP !!!

Nov 15, 2023 1:13 PM in response to etresoft

i have the same issue too, my mac Mini M1 wakes every hour since Sonoma cause of CSPNEvaluation. Hourly wake is ridiculous. Powernap sureley is turned off via pmset and i had no such wakes under Ventura (approximately two wakes per day, which was OK for me)

The problem is, every time the mac wakes my USB Peripherals wake too: speakers which make a slight cracking noise on wake and my external drives are turned on/spinning up.

I filed a bugreport to Apple

via the Feedback-App directly after i installed sonoma 14.1 but didn't get a reaction (i waited for .1 release before i jumped on the sonoma train)

I hope Apple fixes this bug or someone finds a workaround, this one seems to be a nasty one, as pmset is unable to delete this wake requests.

Nov 15, 2023 11:02 AM in response to JayMonkey

JayMonkey wrote:

Apple if your reading, this please understand that sleep means SLEEP !!!

Apple isn't here. This is a user-to-user technical support forum.

Personally, I never upgrade until after Apple has already moving along to something newer and shinier. This computer is still running Monterey. My new one is still on Ventura. I have zero interest in putting up with bug-du-jour for the next year. I'll wait until there is one set of bugs that are well-understood. Only then would I even consider upgrading.

Rumours are that Apple recently stopped working on macOS 15 in order to fix some bugs in Sonoma and iOS 17. I'm very skeptical about this story. I doubt it is true. Even if it is true, the idea that Apple could make any meaningful change in one week is simply ridiculous. But it is hopeful idea at least.

Sonoma CSPNEvaluation sleep issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.