Unable to download pdf files and enter them into iBooks

Since the latest IOS 17.1.1 update can not see pdf files from a download webpage as there’s a XML file extension added to the pdf.

I don’t know who is adding the XML extension….Apple or Telus here??

Which is what I suspect is the reason for not getting iBooks to get applied to this file.

iPad Air

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 6:50 AM

If you're having trouble downloading PDF files from Safari and adding them to iBooks, there are a few potential solutions you can try:

1. Check Browser Settings: Pop-up Blocker: Ensure that your Safari browser is not blocking pop-ups, as the download link might be opening a new window or tab.

2. Use Another Browser: If the issue persists, try using a different browser (e.g., Chrome or Firefox) to download the PDF files. After downloading, you can then transfer them to iBooks.

3. Direct Download: Instead of clicking on the link to the PDF file, try right-clicking (or long-pressing on a touch device) and selecting "Download" or "Save Link As." This will allow you to choose the download location and avoid any issues with pop-ups.

4. Remove XML Extension: If an XML extension is causing the problem, you can try removing it manually after downloading. Follow these steps:

1. Download the file as you normally would.
    2. After the download is complete, locate the file in the Downloads folder.
    3. If the file has an XML extension, rename it to have a PDF extension. For example, change "filename.xml" to "filename.pdf."

5. Use iBooks: Instead of downloading through Safari, try opening iBooks directly and using the built-in web browser to navigate to the download link. iBooks can often handle PDF downloads more seamlessly.

6. Use iCloud Drive: Save the PDF to iCloud Drive or another cloud storage service (like Dropbox or Google Drive) and access it from iBooks. This can be done by choosing "Save to Files" or similar options when downloading the PDF.

7. Update Software: Make sure your Safari browser, iOS, and iBooks app are up to date. Sometimes, updating your software can resolve compatibility issues.

8. Disable JavaScript: Temporarily disabling JavaScript in Safari might help. You can do this in Safari settings under "Advanced."

9. Clear Safari Cache: Clearing your Safari cache can also resolve download issues. Go to Safari settings on your iOS device, scroll down, and select "Clear History and Website Data."

10. Third-Party Apps: Consider using a third-party app to download and manage PDF files. Apps like Documents by Readdle or Adobe Acrobat Reader may provide additional functionality for handling PDFs.

If the problem persists after trying these solutions, it might be worth contacting Apple support for more personalized assistance.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2023 6:50 AM in response to cmyachtie

If you're having trouble downloading PDF files from Safari and adding them to iBooks, there are a few potential solutions you can try:

1. Check Browser Settings: Pop-up Blocker: Ensure that your Safari browser is not blocking pop-ups, as the download link might be opening a new window or tab.

2. Use Another Browser: If the issue persists, try using a different browser (e.g., Chrome or Firefox) to download the PDF files. After downloading, you can then transfer them to iBooks.

3. Direct Download: Instead of clicking on the link to the PDF file, try right-clicking (or long-pressing on a touch device) and selecting "Download" or "Save Link As." This will allow you to choose the download location and avoid any issues with pop-ups.

4. Remove XML Extension: If an XML extension is causing the problem, you can try removing it manually after downloading. Follow these steps:

1. Download the file as you normally would.
    2. After the download is complete, locate the file in the Downloads folder.
    3. If the file has an XML extension, rename it to have a PDF extension. For example, change "filename.xml" to "filename.pdf."

5. Use iBooks: Instead of downloading through Safari, try opening iBooks directly and using the built-in web browser to navigate to the download link. iBooks can often handle PDF downloads more seamlessly.

6. Use iCloud Drive: Save the PDF to iCloud Drive or another cloud storage service (like Dropbox or Google Drive) and access it from iBooks. This can be done by choosing "Save to Files" or similar options when downloading the PDF.

7. Update Software: Make sure your Safari browser, iOS, and iBooks app are up to date. Sometimes, updating your software can resolve compatibility issues.

8. Disable JavaScript: Temporarily disabling JavaScript in Safari might help. You can do this in Safari settings under "Advanced."

9. Clear Safari Cache: Clearing your Safari cache can also resolve download issues. Go to Safari settings on your iOS device, scroll down, and select "Clear History and Website Data."

10. Third-Party Apps: Consider using a third-party app to download and manage PDF files. Apps like Documents by Readdle or Adobe Acrobat Reader may provide additional functionality for handling PDFs.

If the problem persists after trying these solutions, it might be worth contacting Apple support for more personalized assistance.

Nov 14, 2023 6:43 AM in response to cmyachtie

Updating iOS on your iPhone should typically not alter the fundamental functionality of the device. It's possible that there were underlying issues before this update, which you might not have been aware of previously or might not have noticed.

In general, iOS updates are designed to enhance the user experience, improve security, and fix bugs, rather than introducing major disruptions to core features. The reported issue of the screen flickering and displaying a white screen after an update is likely caused by factors that are not explicitly mentioned in your post.

iOS updates primarily focus on improving system performance, introducing new features, fixing bugs, and enhancing security. They are designed to preserve your personal data, settings, and information intact.

During an iOS update, your device's operating system is upgraded, but your personal data, such as contacts, photos, messages, and other information, should remain unchanged. However, it's always a good practice to perform a backup of your device before any major update to ensure that your data is safely stored.

It's important to note that while an iOS update itself should not alter personal details, it's possible that certain features or settings may be adjusted or improved with the update. In such cases, you may need to review and adjust specific settings to match your preferences after the update.

Always make sure to read and understand the update details provided by Apple before proceeding with an iOS update, and follow best practices such as backing up your device to minimize any potential risks or complications.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

Nov 15, 2023 1:36 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks SravanKrA,

your answer is great if I had a Mac I think, as on my iPhone or iPad I am not able to change the file name nor will the file be downloaded directly into iBooks where I could change the file name by renaming it w/o the xml extension. I have discussed my problem with the file originator (TELUS), and they insist it’s an Apple IOS issue.

I likely will be able to do a workaround on my Windows laptop but this is all to cumbersome as I do live on my iPad and iPhone these days.

Nov 15, 2023 1:55 AM in response to cmyachtie

I just tried your suggestion and changed browsers for this action on my TELUS account from Safari to Chrome and after going thru a few extra ”hoops” did manage to download the same file into iBooks, just like I used to do every previous month in Safari before w/o that stupid XML file extension……that now mysteriously appears in Safari browser since the IOS 17.1.1 update………so my conclusion is that Apple dropped the ball again here by not including iBooks in the update allowing it to open xml’s, OR in error during the update got Safari screwed up.

Nov 20, 2023 9:47 AM in response to cmyachtie

Since nothing really solved my issue, called Apple support today and while being on hold was just doing some more experimenting and realized that my Telus app was putting its data under my settings in the iCloud instead of on my phone.

When I then downloaded my pdf file bill it worked again as in the past, by viewing the data.

So then went in settings under Safari and changed a similar setting and noticed that it fixed my problem.

Unable to download pdf files and enter them into iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.