Anyone experience a Sonoma 14.1.1 update failure?

I am scared to update my M1 MBP due to the failure I encountered with the Monterey 12.6 to 12.7 update. That procedure bricked my MBP, requiring me to travel 40 miles to the nearest Apple Store. When I got there, the person ahead of me had the same exact problem, and it turns out, so did a lot of people. The only way they could "revive" my MBP was to install Sonoma. I did not want to do that because of my music studio software compatibility, but it was forced. To downgrade back to Monterey was going to be a several day project, creating an external boot/install drive and completely erasing and then rebuilding my entire studio, much of which has a limited number of authorizations associated with virtual instruments and plugins. I decided I'd live with Sonoma and hope everything works.

I've now seen 2 updates to Sonoma, but am Very concerned a similar update failure may happen. On the other hand, I want the bug fixes and optimization. I've seen a couple YouTube vids with the title; 14.1 update stuck.

Can anyone shed light on this issue? The 12.6 to .7 was not a fluke. So many MBP users ended up at the Apple Store to revive their Macs. Help! How can I be confident in any updates at this point?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 7:24 AM

Last week, I upgraded my Intel Macbook Pro from Sonoma 14.1 to 14.1.1, and, guess what? It bricked my Mac. I could not charge it which, at that time, the battery drained so quickly from 100% to 0% within 2 hours or less. It kept saying that I needed to change the adapter to the genuine one. I have never used any third-party adapter or cable for any of my Apple products, and that cable can charge another Mac perfectly. I tried to use both the charging cable and adapter from the other Mac that work perfectly on the other Mac, unfortunately, it did not work on the Sonoma-14.1.1-updated bricked Macbook Pro. This is the worst thing I have encountered with computer use.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2023 7:24 AM in response to TopoTone

Last week, I upgraded my Intel Macbook Pro from Sonoma 14.1 to 14.1.1, and, guess what? It bricked my Mac. I could not charge it which, at that time, the battery drained so quickly from 100% to 0% within 2 hours or less. It kept saying that I needed to change the adapter to the genuine one. I have never used any third-party adapter or cable for any of my Apple products, and that cable can charge another Mac perfectly. I tried to use both the charging cable and adapter from the other Mac that work perfectly on the other Mac, unfortunately, it did not work on the Sonoma-14.1.1-updated bricked Macbook Pro. This is the worst thing I have encountered with computer use.

Nov 22, 2023 10:21 AM in response to leroydouglas

That's true...not a lot of people peruse the forums when things are going well. I have some specific recent history with updates, so it's a bit of a dilemma. I want to have the bug fixes and security stuff, but..... I guess I can rely on my Time Machine back up if things go wonky...as long as it's not the kind of wonky that happened going from 12.6 to .7. I had to take it to the Apple Store for a revive then.

Nov 14, 2023 8:28 AM in response to TopoTone

TopoTone wrote:

I am scared to update my M1 MBP due to the failure I encountered with the Monterey 12.6 to 12.7 update. That procedure bricked my MBP, requiring me to travel 40 miles to the nearest Apple Store. When I got there, the person ahead of me had the same exact problem, and it turns out, so did a lot of people. The only way they could "revive" my MBP was to install Sonoma. I did not want to do that because of my music studio software compatibility, but it was forced. To downgrade back to Monterey was going to be a several day project, creating an external boot/install drive and completely erasing and then rebuilding my entire studio, much of which has a limited number of authorizations associated with virtual instruments and plugins. I decided I'd live with Sonoma and hope everything works.

I've now seen 2 updates to Sonoma, but am Very concerned a similar update failure may happen. On the other hand, I want the bug fixes and optimization. I've seen a couple YouTube vids with the title; 14.1 update stuck.

Can anyone shed light on this issue? The 12.6 to .7 was not a fluke. So many MBP users ended up at the Apple Store to revive their Macs. Help! How can I be confident in any updates at this point?

I have never had an issues....

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.1.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Nov 22, 2023 10:09 AM in response to TopoTone

TopoTone wrote:

1 with no probs....2 with bad probs. Not a good ratio.

I see you are not a statistician... who would base anything on a survey of 3 (?)

based on the fact Apple sold about 20 million Macs last year....you do the math.

Most folks do not go to the hospital unless they are sick and ailing.

same is true most folks do not post in a "support" community unless they have issues.

if you are "I am scared to update my M1 MBP " then don't....

ref: Upgrading macOS without fear

Jan 1, 2024 1:56 PM in response to TopoTone

For what 3 months now? since 14.1.1 and 14.2.1 came out, I still get this error whenever trying to upgrade from 14.0 to 14.1+ "failed to prepare update". At one point I went through all the steps and tried to install using Terminal and that didn't work either.

I figured after a few months they might have fixed this... especially when 50+ people have reported similar issues on this very post. If anyone comes up with a fix, please let me know.

Nov 14, 2023 8:37 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your report/reply. Gives me some hope.

I had several backups in the Monterey state, but those proved completely useless when forced to Sonoma. Those backups would only work in Monterey. It would be necessary to wipe the drive, via an externally booted OS install drive, then use the TM backup.

Anyway, as mentioned, there were dozens of people at the Apple Store with bricked MBP's due to the 12.6 to .7. I'll wait to see if anyone else can report a successful 14.1.1 update.

Nov 23, 2023 9:14 AM in response to TopoTone

I had a terrible experience with updating from Ventura 13.6.1 to Sonoma 14.1.1., after having waited specifically for this release. I have a M2 Pro Mac Mini with 16GB memory. Most of my apps would either not start up or crashed repeatedly, and the system ran agonizingly slow. I make weekly backups using Time Machine, but Sonoma would not let me go back to the previous OS. I ended up doing a complete clean install of Ventura, using a USB drive, and then re-installed my apps. I wasn't too worried because I keep all my important stuff (documents, photos, etc. . . on external drives. I'm quite happy with Ventura and will probably wait until a few more releases of Sonoma before I attempt an OS upgrade.

Nov 25, 2023 7:11 AM in response to TopoTone

I think I’m going to wait. I was 1 of those people that had to go see the geniuses at Apple Store when I tried to update to Sonoma 14. But after I waxed my 2012 Mac book pro and started over with Monterey. I went back in OCLP and now I’m running Sonoma 14 without issues,so far. But that was directly from GitHub. I don’t believe I’ll try to update again from apple considering last time my Mac crashed.

Hope everyone had a good Turkey Day and if your working with an unsupported Mac I advise to strictly update through OCLP👍😁🦃💯

Jun 23, 2024 11:50 AM in response to TopoTone

I was resetting my mac book pro to trade in, ended up in boot loop and cannot install sonoma

Even if monterey or ventura are availble, it won't download completely and disappear at the end and no .apps.

checked recovery logs and always says url or file or something on apple server not reachable.

Its an apple issue.

Tried on my friend's machine and same issue.

[Edited by Moderator]

Anyone experience a Sonoma 14.1.1 update failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.