Batteries widget, my macbook do not see other devices, as well as, my iphone do not see macbook

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2024 7:38 AM

A very definitive answer!

Disappointing, of course, as I had higher expectations for the widget. As a recent Android/Motorola convert, I moved to Apple because of Apple’s (generally) better integration between devices, and honestly, “smarter” systems and intuitive software. Certainly the ability to show other devices in your account is there, but not implemented. “Find My” can show me battery data on AirTags 1,000 miles away - but not my other iOS devices across the room unless linked by Bluetooth?!

Probably JUST as disappointing is that this is described nowhere in the official Apple User guides and has to be wrested from a user on the Apple community site.

Oh well - still a nice feature - just not as great as it could be.

i guess I should be happy that Apple finally saw fit to allow AitTag data to be shared among family members. Too long enough. Maybe they’ll eventually do a similar enhancement for the battery widget.

Thanks for the answer Lawrence!

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2024 7:38 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

A very definitive answer!

Disappointing, of course, as I had higher expectations for the widget. As a recent Android/Motorola convert, I moved to Apple because of Apple’s (generally) better integration between devices, and honestly, “smarter” systems and intuitive software. Certainly the ability to show other devices in your account is there, but not implemented. “Find My” can show me battery data on AirTags 1,000 miles away - but not my other iOS devices across the room unless linked by Bluetooth?!

Probably JUST as disappointing is that this is described nowhere in the official Apple User guides and has to be wrested from a user on the Apple community site.

Oh well - still a nice feature - just not as great as it could be.

i guess I should be happy that Apple finally saw fit to allow AitTag data to be shared among family members. Too long enough. Maybe they’ll eventually do a similar enhancement for the battery widget.

Thanks for the answer Lawrence!

Jan 28, 2024 8:53 AM in response to 59Valiant

The battery widget shows devices directly connected via Bluetooth to the device hosting the widget. So my iPhone shows the iPhone itself, my Watch, my AirPod case and my Airpods. My iPad widget shows my iPad itself, Pencil, AirPod Case and Airpods. As your Mac and iOS devices are not connected by Bluetooth (and cannot pair with an iOS devices) they will not appear in the battery widget.

Feb 27, 2024 3:47 AM in response to SmER4-

Dear Lawrence thank you for clarifying, I had the same problem. But I don't think it is fair to protect apple in this case. People just want to see battery state of their devices, period. It is not an excuse to say that there is no feature for iPhone and MacBook that requires connectivity. Well, there is, and that feature is called battery widget. In my humble opinion.

Jan 28, 2024 5:58 AM in response to SmER4-

Having the same issue - and have been for a while.

iPhone 14 Pro with latest iOS upgrade will show itself and Apple Watch. Older iPad (7) - also running latest iOS would never show up on battery widget.

I replaced my older iPad with a shiny new iPad Air (5) and it doesn’t show up in my iPhone widget - nor does my Apple Watch OR iPhone show up on the iPad widget.

The widget has spaces to display the status of four batteries, so obviously (?) the intent or capacity is there - but instructions on the Apple User Guides is notably missing.

ALL devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, Bluetooth is ON, and all devices have been started or restarted.

Where’s the documentation for this widget!? I guess things have changed in the 40 years since I’ve been programming - because “documenting your code” was a pretty sacred practice. Easter Eggs are fun - but making what looks to be an intended function shouldn’t be a scavenger hunt! Otherwise, “Battery Widget” looks like what we used to call an “undocumented feature”. (AKA “bug”)

Feb 8, 2024 7:52 AM in response to Allgrem

You cannot pair computing devices such as iPhones, iPads, iPods or Macs to each other using Bluetooth; Apple does not support it for security reasons. However, there is no feature of any Apple product that requires pairing an iPhone to a MacBook or any other combination; Apple’s Continuity features do not require Bluetooth pairing. What are you trying to achieve by pairing them?

Feb 8, 2024 8:13 AM in response to Allgrem

Lawrence F. Pretty much put this one to bed.

Battery only shows devices connected through Bluetooth - so iPhone can’t show on iMac or vice-versa. You -should- find that your Apple Watch, Bluetooth headphone or earbuds, and other Bluetooth-connected devices DO show up on the battery widget. Even my cheapo knockoff earbuds show up.

I am a recent Android/Motorola convert as well and though I do miss a few features of that camp, I find the Apple ecosystem to be SO much better integrated that there’s simply no comparison. I say that as a “Never Apple” MS dos, Windows, PC user and system administrator since before there were “PCs”.

May 25, 2024 9:55 AM in response to aayush-saini

It's possible it could be. I really have no idea. What I have noticed is that non-programmers tend to think adding "just one little, simple feature" is easy when often it's neither simple nor easy. But whether it can be and Apple has chosen not to or it can't be, the end result is the same. It's not an option. The current widget only works with devices that are paired over Bluetooth.

You can let Apple know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Feb 8, 2024 4:16 AM in response to SmER4-

Same problem. Just bought the iPhone 15 Pro Max and Macbook Air 15. I try to connect the devices via Bluetooth. The Mac can't find the iPhone. The iPhone can recognise the Mac but when I try to connect is says ''Allgrem's Laptop is not supported.

Yes, all devices uptaded to the last version. This is the smallest issue I'm having with the ''great'' Apple ecosystem, I'm really missing Android + real/proper Google services xD

May 26, 2024 9:11 AM in response to 59Valiant

Hear hear!! An apple rep once told me to lodge a complaint. If enough people complain then they might just listen. My issue was with the first pencil. My primary use was for “selection” and it worked in the beginning but an update removed selection and it was only good for drawing. I guess there were enough complaints that soon after they saw their mistake and gave us the option. Let’s all get on board the complaint train.

Batteries widget, my macbook do not see other devices, as well as, my iphone do not see macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.