iPhone restarts every night

My iPhone 13, iOS 17.1.1, has been spontaneously restarting every single night for weeks. Pretty sure it started with iOS 17 update. I charge it at night on an Apple MagSafe wireless charger, horizontal, so StandBy is active. Every morning it says I have to enter my passcode because the phone has restarted.

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 12:17 PM

As long as the phone is in a vertical orientation (so StandBy is not active), it charges properly and stays on all night. With StandBy active, though, the phone spontaneously reboots almost every night. Given the number of people reporting this kind of behavior, I think we can confidently say that StandBy is simply buggy at this point.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 12:17 PM in response to JLG89

As long as the phone is in a vertical orientation (so StandBy is not active), it charges properly and stays on all night. With StandBy active, though, the phone spontaneously reboots almost every night. Given the number of people reporting this kind of behavior, I think we can confidently say that StandBy is simply buggy at this point.

Nov 16, 2023 7:27 AM in response to JLG89

Yesterday I changed three things, terrible troubleshooting I know, but I had to sign out of iCloud on my phone for other reasons...so, the three things I did yesterday: 1) disabled green charging; 2) signed out of iCloud (deleted data from phone, restarted, signed into iCloud, restarted again); and 3) put the phone on the MagSafe charger in a vertical orientation (no StandBy). I'll put it horizontal tonight and see if it restarts again; maybe it's a bug with StandBy, which wouldn't surprise me given the relative complexity of this new feature, and the fact that it has to have its tentacles in so many core areas (graphics, power/charging, screen brightness, connectivity, etc. etc.).

iPhone restarts every night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.