Using an older iMac

I have a 2009 iMac using El Capitan. It runs all the Adobe software that I purchased before they leased everything. Having gone through the learning curves, I have no problems with the artwork that I do.. I will keep it because of this. I do not want to lease the latest Adobe products. It is not possible to update from El Capitan. I understand this 2009 iMac will not ever again be compatible with Email and whenever I go on the Internet, 9 out of 10 pages will not open. I bought a new iMac that runs Sonoma. I like it, though not nearly as well as the 2009 version. However much it cost me, it was not nearly as much or as inconvenient as leasing Adobe to do my art. Am curious: Do you agree with me? Or would you have done this differently?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 8:50 AM

Do you agree with me?

Sure. If your Mac is working for you, why change anything.

Or would you have done this differently?

I suppose it depends on how much of your work requires the latest version of Adobe's bloatware, and the value you derive from using it.

I don't particularly like the business model of having to continually pay fees for the privilege of using software, but that's the way things are going. If software is going to improve, someone has to pay for it. That someone can be you or it can be somebody else, but if no one cares for those improvements enough to pay for them, then the software becomes moribund and dies as it should. Other, generally better software gets developed to fill the void. That's been happening with Adobe, Microsoft and other established lazy behemoths.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2023 8:50 AM in response to fisherkathleen

Do you agree with me?

Sure. If your Mac is working for you, why change anything.

Or would you have done this differently?

I suppose it depends on how much of your work requires the latest version of Adobe's bloatware, and the value you derive from using it.

I don't particularly like the business model of having to continually pay fees for the privilege of using software, but that's the way things are going. If software is going to improve, someone has to pay for it. That someone can be you or it can be somebody else, but if no one cares for those improvements enough to pay for them, then the software becomes moribund and dies as it should. Other, generally better software gets developed to fill the void. That's been happening with Adobe, Microsoft and other established lazy behemoths.

Nov 15, 2023 3:46 PM in response to fisherkathleen

If you have an early to mid 2009 24" iMac El Capitan is the newest system you can run.

If it's a late 2009 21.5" or 27" iMac you can run High Sierra. You won't gain anything by upgrading to High Sierra as both El Capitan and High Sierra is not being supported any more.

So, I'd stay where you are as it's meeting all of your requirements. Remember the old adage: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

However, I would start saving up for a new iMac as the 2009 model is considered obsolete and isn't supported by Apple anymore. If you do upgrade your iMac consider alternative to the Adobe software, i.e. Infinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher. They are excellent replacements and are a one time purchase (currently around $50 apiece).

Nov 15, 2023 8:37 AM in response to fisherkathleen

What is th right thing is what works for you. Incidentally, you may be able to install a newer browser such as Firefox that works with the older OS. If so, it will open more web pages for you.The same applies to using an alternative email app. I am very pleased with Thunderbird which I've used for years. What you want to look for are versions that are identified as compatible with your older OS.

Nov 15, 2023 10:07 AM in response to fisherkathleen

I might have bought a cheap used 2013-2015 iMac and upgraded to High Sierra (for CS5) or Mojave (for CS6). That would provide a nice performance boost, keep the old software, and allow installing the latest Firefox ESR (Extended Service Release, MacOS 10.12 or newer required) to fix web page compatibility.

However that is more of a short term fix that would buy you maybe 2-3 years before loosing internet compatibility once more. Try not to second guess yourself. You were going to need a new computer sooner than later anyway.

Nov 15, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Ronasara

Hello Rosasara,, I am new to this forum. Primarily I wanted to introduce myself. Thank you so much for your response. I am a photographer who prefers to shoot camera raw and edit the results. I am completely satisfied with CS6, which I own. I don't really want or need the new editions. I see that Photoshop 9 is about Artificial Intelligence. That is about the least interesting thing to me on planet earth. I was really attempting to answer a previous entry that has been discontinued. This response is intended for you, John and Padams35. The forum kept saying I had to ask a question. I hoped asking if you agreed with me would elicit responses. Please read all three responses. Rosasara, I did try to install other browsers such as Firefox. None could be installed. I could download, but they never installed. None were compatable. kathleen

Nov 15, 2023 10:51 AM in response to padams35

Hi John, I am writing one response to answer the three of you. The 2009 iMac works fine with CS6, which is what I own. I can see what you mean by disliking the business model of having to continually pay fees. I can also understand that there will be no software developments that so many people use and need. I admit I really like CS6. I really like editing the photos that I take, and I also appreciate the color that is true.

Nov 15, 2023 11:02 AM in response to padams35

Hello padams35 I did what I did because I did not want an interim fix. The 2009 will give out and I won't be able to use it any more. I thought if I had a new one, I could learn its foibles, and have an easier time when it does. Even this forum has its learning curves. This is the first time I have tried to post.

Hope you understand that the three responses are made to all three of you. I thank you so much for your responding. kathleen

Nov 15, 2023 6:10 PM in response to fisherkathleen

fusherkathleen wrote:

I understand this 2009 iMac will not ever again be compatible with Email

If you are using Google as your e-mail provider, you might be able to use a Google "app password" to get the Mail application on your Mac connected to your Google account again.

I believe you have to turn on two-factor authentication for Google (some prefer not to do this) … and then you can generate an "app password" for use by a "less secure" application (like your old version of Mail).

Or you could access e-mail through your provider's Web interface (if you can get a new enough browser installed).

Nov 15, 2023 7:39 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the reply. I did get another iMac--the new M3 that runs on Sonoma--primarily for email and the internet. I wanted a machine I could use for another 15 years.The iMac M3 has a great monitor; movies look way better on it.

I kept the old one to run CS6 which I purchased long ago. It will give out completely, and when it does, I'll check out Affinity software. kathleen

Using an older iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.