lost desktop files after Sonoma update

Can somebody help me to restore desktop files after I updated to Sonoma. All my desktop files are gone (and who knows what else) and there were tons of important files. I do not remember any warnings when I started an update to Sonoma that the files would be lost. I have iCloud storage but not sure how to restore or even if it has been backed up.

thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2023 4:47 PM

I'm afraid to download Sonoma now. My desktop has many folders on it, and I want them to stay there. Will the setting changes reveal them? This is awful. Apple is supposed to be this great experience, and they do this? Must be too much hippie grass goin' around. And then I would have to go into three different settings to remove the annoying giant clock from the middle of my desktop? And what about this "click wallpaper to reveal desktop" setting? -- I just want to turn my computer on, and have it look just the way it does now in Ventura. Is it possible to do that after switching to Sonoma? Wow.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2023 4:47 PM in response to mirka209

I'm afraid to download Sonoma now. My desktop has many folders on it, and I want them to stay there. Will the setting changes reveal them? This is awful. Apple is supposed to be this great experience, and they do this? Must be too much hippie grass goin' around. And then I would have to go into three different settings to remove the annoying giant clock from the middle of my desktop? And what about this "click wallpaper to reveal desktop" setting? -- I just want to turn my computer on, and have it look just the way it does now in Ventura. Is it possible to do that after switching to Sonoma? Wow.

Nov 15, 2023 10:26 AM in response to mirka209

mirka209 wrote:

Can somebody help me to restore desktop files after I updated to Sonoma. All my desktop files are gone (and who knows what else) and there were tons of important files. I do not remember any warnings when I started an update to Sonoma that the files would be lost. I have iCloud storage but not sure how to restore or even if it has been backed up.
thanks.

look at the new settings and test by making some changes:

Stage Manager on Mac...

Organize your Mac desktop with Stage Manager

Organize your Mac desktop with Stage Manager - Apple Support

Use Stage Manager to organize apps and windows on Mac

Use Stage Manager on Mac - Apple Support

May 25, 2024 6:22 PM in response to mirka209

Click the 'finder' with the blue and white halves face, then click the 'house' icon displaying the name of your computer. Find the folder with the 'iCloud Drive, it may say (Archive) - 2.' In that file are additional files (Desktop, Documents, Downloads...). Click on the 'blue file' that says desktop. Your mission desktop display items will be located therein. The file marked documents has your documents and the Downloads file has your download item...etcetera.

lost desktop files after Sonoma update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.