File name disappears as I rename it.

When I rename a file in Finder, the entire name disappears so I cannot see it while renaming it. When I hit return after renaming, the file name reappears. This just started yesterday. I've included a link to screen recording to show the issue. Thanks!

Finder renaming weirdness

M1 MacBook Air

Ventura 13.6.1 (22G313)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 2:33 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2023 2:33 PM in response to ladysun1969

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Nov 15, 2023 1:33 PM in response to ladysun1969

ladysun1969 wrote:

When I rename a file in Finder, the entire name disappears so I cannot see it while renaming it. When I hit return after renaming, the file name reappears. This just started yesterday. I've included a link to screen recording to show the issue. Thanks!

Finder renaming weirdness

M1 MacBook Air
Ventura 13.6.1 (22G313)

Are you saying this is an issue..?

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 15, 2023 2:53 PM in response to Old Toad

The behavior does not happen in Safe Mode. And now after booting normally, it does not happen in regular start up either. Whatever it was, Safe Mode seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

PS -- to answer your question:

I have Parallels Toolbox installed & it contains a "Clean Drive" tool, but it only runs on-demand, not continuously. I do not have any of the others you listed.

Nov 15, 2023 3:15 PM in response to Old Toad

Parallels Desktop is different from Parallels Toolbox. I've been using the Toolbox for years with no issues.

FWIW, I do have Parallels Desktop installed so I can run Windows. (Because there's no Mac version of Publisher, sigh.) I've had that installed for a full year with no issues.

Today seems to have just been an aberration. Gremlins or something.

File name disappears as I rename it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.