Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mac mini 2018 boots to macOS installation

My 2018 Mac mini (i5/256/32, Sonoma 14.1.1) has been unplugged from mains power for about 24 hrs, and when I turned it on there was no chime and no video (using USB-C connection to LG monitor).

I tried several restarts and eventually the Apple symbol appeared - again, no chime - and I was presented with the macOS setup screen (choose language).

I notice that the Mini seems to be hotter than usual.

Booting with Cmd+R again gets the macOS install screen.

A bit more background: I have always connected my monitor via USB-C, but recently I wanted to use that port on the Mac, so I tried connecting my monitor via HDMI. Thereupon a sea of woe ... as in countless post to so many forums, including this one. I could only get the HDMI connection to work - sometimes - after first booting up with the monitor connected via USB-C, then plugging in HDMI. This would work UNTIL the Mac was powered down and unplugged from mains. Thereupon a sea of woe ...

Mac mini

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 7:21 PM

Ignore. It seemed there'd been too many restarts without password ... choosing the language took me to recovery then a restart got things back to normal.

Similar questions

1 reply

Mac mini 2018 boots to macOS installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.