120/144Hz External display stuck at 60Hz

Hello, since I got this display for my 2020 Macook Pro 16", I noticed my settings not allowing the right Hz values for this monitor. I have an ultra-wide 3440 res monitor which is specified for 144 hz. Whenever I go into my display settings I can only choose between 30 and 60 Hz, any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 7:25 AM

The English translation of the abilities of that dock says:

" If the computer and monitor support 3840x2160 4K@30Hz, the HDMI can display up to 4K.

That device is NOT going to be able to provide the refresh rate you seek.

You may need to switch to DisplayPort adapters/cables

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 16, 2023 9:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

That's the specs for my MacBook Pro, i'm using an HDMI cable which should support over 60 Hz and all power is plugged in, thsi is my monitor that i'm using, it's actually 165 Hz now that I see it again:

Samsung Odyssey Gaming Monitor G5 34" (C34G55TWWP) Zwart

I have the power cable of my monitor in a regular European outlet so that's not a problem.

Here is the monitor in my max settings:

Nov 18, 2023 2:25 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

This is the adapter I use: https://www.amazon.com.be/-/nl/Omars-Ethernet-USB-poorten-kaartlezer-laadpoort/dp/B08BLQMWSD

I'm using a regular HDMI cable I've found somewhere around my house but I already know It can support over 100 Hz cause of a different pc it was installed on, that's pretty much it, I've got a Logitech mouse and some ethernet connected to that but nothing else.

120/144Hz External display stuck at 60Hz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.