More Safari gibberish in a long line of Safari gibberish

After updating to Sonoma and Safari 17, certain websites can't display readable text. I have read similar descriptions that go back to 2004 with all manner of complicated solutions that don't seem to work in 2023. Here a screenshot from Strava's website:

I can select the gibberish and paste it into Text Edit and it's readable. Why only certain websites? Seems like any adjustments I make to my Mac couldn't possibly affect a problem that seems rooted in individual website's code, no?

-D

iMac 24″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 11:10 AM

If you are running macOS 14.0 per the footer, update to current macOS, restart the Mac, and try again.

Restart through Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If that does not clear this…

Do you have any Safari extensions installed? If so, disable and/or remove those, and test again.

Check the language and region settings, as well: Change Language & Region settings on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Dvanetc

If you are running macOS 14.0 per the footer, update to current macOS, restart the Mac, and try again.

Restart through Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If that does not clear this…

Do you have any Safari extensions installed? If so, disable and/or remove those, and test again.

Check the language and region settings, as well: Change Language & Region settings on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 17, 2023 1:41 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Yes, as I mentioned. Similar descriptions going back to 2004... but I use FontExplorer X to manage my fonts, not Font Book... so that didn't work. At any rate, Mr Hoffman suggested I update to Sonora OS 14.1.1 and that did the trick. (Shutting down extensions did not.) So I guess it was a bug in Sonora OS 14?

Thanks for your reply Tom.

-D

More Safari gibberish in a long line of Safari gibberish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.