I need to disable find my iphone but have changed Apple ID and email - I don't have access to the old email account for verification

I had an old iPhone 6 that bombed out years ago. I recently gave it to someone who had it repaired and is now trying to use it. However he cannot restore factory settings, as he is being told to turn off 'find my iPhone'.

This phone is still displaying my original email address as the Apple ID. I am no longer able to access this email, so I cannot have any verification sent to it.

How can I change the Apple ID on the phone, to allow him to reset everything that he needs to?

I have changed my primary email address and Apple ID details, but to add a new email address requires Apple to send an email verification to the old address, which I cannot access.

Just trying to help the guy get full functionality to the phone which he has worked really hard to save to have repaired.

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 11:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 11:31 PM

Your intent to “do the right thing” is commendable.

The ONLY way to remove the device’s Activation Lock are outlined here:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

If the device is not listed on your current AppleID, you will most likely need to regain access to your old AppleID to perform these actions.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2023 11:31 PM in response to mecilla

Your intent to “do the right thing” is commendable.

The ONLY way to remove the device’s Activation Lock are outlined here:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

If the device is not listed on your current AppleID, you will most likely need to regain access to your old AppleID to perform these actions.

Nov 21, 2023 11:38 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Oh no...that's so disappointing, as I do not have access to the email address that was linked to the account. Well, the email account has been deleted, so there would be NO way to access it.

I will reach into the deep, dark (OLD) parts of my brain to try remember the password I may have used at the time.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. 😊

I need to disable find my iphone but have changed Apple ID and email - I don't have access to the old email account for verification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.