You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“server login: local computer” error message for IBM SPSS Statistics v 28 on my MacBook with macOS Sonoma / 14.1.1.

Hi there,

When opening IBM SPSS Statistics v28 on my MacBook with macOS Sonoma / 14.1.1, I’m getting this error message “server login: local computer”. I’ve downloaded the IBM fix and have followed the instructions in the accompanying readme.txt file. 

The file libplatdep.dylib is nowhere on my harddrive, as can be seen in the below screen print:

The Statistics 28 Desktop installation path does not contain a folder named “lib” as can be seen in the below screen print:

The readme.txt file included in the downloaded fix from IBM  (28.0.1.1-IM-S28STATC-MAC-IF008)  contains the following steps, in the screen print below:

Step 2 in the above screen print, “Navigate to the ../lib subdirectory in the Statistics 28 Desktop installation path”, which is /Applications/IBM SPSS Statistics/ in my case, does not contain a folder “lib” (as can be seen in the second screen print). Is “SPSS Statistics.app” a folder, as in the second screen print it shows as an application and this makes me wonder if I’m missing something?

Please can you help me? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 14″, 14.1

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 7:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 8:01 AM

What a disaster! IBM should rename itself IAH - International Amateur Hour.

Select the app "SPSS Statistics.app" and right click or control click on it. Select "Show Package Contents". See if you can the relevant file in there. I can't give you any more specific instructions because most of those IBM instructions are just gibberish. It's like they've never seen the internals of a Mac app before. This is exceptionally bad.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2023 8:01 AM in response to twan01

What a disaster! IBM should rename itself IAH - International Amateur Hour.

Select the app "SPSS Statistics.app" and right click or control click on it. Select "Show Package Contents". See if you can the relevant file in there. I can't give you any more specific instructions because most of those IBM instructions are just gibberish. It's like they've never seen the internals of a Mac app before. This is exceptionally bad.

“server login: local computer” error message for IBM SPSS Statistics v 28 on my MacBook with macOS Sonoma / 14.1.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.