Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Music no longer shows album artwork on playlists

Hi All, anyone else noticed this issue since the last Apple update?

Now when creating a new playlist, of either an album or a compilation, cover artwork does not get updated and show (adding to Library does allow artwork but you still can't then transfer this to your playlist).

Instead on Playlists it defaults to a standard colour 'design' which has nothing to do with the original album or artist.

I contacted apple support who advised this was to make it more aesthetic and pleasing, and that there is no option to revert to have album artwork.

Is it just me, but surely most music lovers would much prefer to see album artwork rather than an impersonal and featureless design on their playlists - or at the very least have the option to choose this.

The design patterns and colours vary but not by much, so if you have lots of playlists as I do, they're all going to look pretty much the same and difficult to distinguish (very boring also!)

All other competitors Spotify, Qobuz etc I'm aware of allow album artwork on their playlists

Be interested what others think - if you agree submit feedback to Apple in the hope they change it back! Product Feedback - Apple

I'm a loyal apple user have used music for years, but seriously if this issue if not fixed I'll be transferring to another platform

Tom

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2023 2:02 AM

Please Apple!!!! We prefer the old method of creating a playlist that loads the albumcovers! This new "color" is terribly boring!

While we are here, can we please choose a default setting for the field options for playlists!!!

Why must we change settins whenever we log on?

PLEASE!!! hear us and respond!!!

Similar questions

166 replies

Dec 10, 2023 3:31 PM in response to Ian Robinson3

Submitted this feedback.

"A recent update to Apple Music on iOS changed how the artwork for a new Playlist is generated. Previously, a playlist would generate artwork by combining the artwork for the first four tracks in the playlist. Now, Apple Music on iOS uses a selection of abstract gradients for artwork on a new playlist. This is a backwards step. The previous behaviour was much better. At the very least, the old behaviour should be one of the options available to choose from."

Dec 7, 2023 11:09 PM in response to highcroft777

Yep. It’s really annoying. At present if I create a playlist in the Mac Apple Music app it still uses the artwork from the first four tracks to generate the playlist artwork. Even if you add the tracks on iPhone or iPad. I suspect a future update on Mac will switch it to the terrible iOS Music app behaviour.

I can think of no good reason to change it to work like this. 😡

Feb 8, 2024 9:00 AM in response to highcroft777

Good news - IT IS SOLVED on both iPhone and Mac.

Process explanation:

1. iPhone: Music > Select song(s) > Add to a Playlist > New Playlist > Save the playlist. Done (so don’t even touch the image section)
  2. Mac: Music > Select song(s) > Add to Playlist > New Playlist > when the playlist comes up, in the IMAGE section, click left to the most left “empty” image with a red + in it > select it > Save the playlist. The album image(s) appear in your playlist!

Hope this helps - it is not intuitive but works (I tried several scenarios and it works every time).

Please upvote my reply so others know it is solved, too.

Dec 27, 2023 1:47 AM in response to Ian Robinson3

We can't be the only ones that have an issue with this, can we? Other than sending product feedback to Apple, how do we get them to give us the choice to put something back the way it was, which was wonderful. I am choosing my words very carefully is to not have my comment be deleted, but I simply don't know what to do. As it is, now I have to scour the Internet for album art and create my own artwork based on that. Who thought this was a good idea?

Dec 16, 2023 1:14 AM in response to Ian Robinson3

Agree, was aware re camera option and fine if you want your own photos, but searching for consistent album cover artwork then uploading and saving, is a pain to say the least. If your playlist includes several different albums, the nice collage of artwork from the first 4 tracks that used to be generated automatically - well that's impossible to do yourself

Spoken to Apple already, told the only thing to do was to register issue with formal Product Feedback - supposedly that's what they look at....

Apple Music no longer shows album artwork on playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.