I mistakenly scratched off my apple giftcard code is it still useful?

I got an apple giftcard and on the process of scratching 2 codes scratched off, what can I do please

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 9:52 PM

7 replies

Nov 25, 2023 10:35 PM in response to yemmzy

The "Related article above your question says:

"If you can't read the code on the back of your card because it's scratched or damaged, contact Apple Support."

"You might need to provide:

• An image of the full front and back of your card.
  • A sales receipt showing when your card was purchased.
  • The serial number from your card. "

NB: There are illustrations at the bottom of the "Related Article" above to help you identify the serial number,

Jun 5, 2024 2:20 AM in response to Monicah2004

See Apple support's online article: If you can't redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card - Apple Support

Eg says:

"If you can't read the code on the back of your card because it's scratched or damaged, contact Apple Support."

"You might need to provide:

• An image of the full front and back of your card.
  • A sales receipt showing when your card was purchased.
  • The serial number from your card. "

NB: There are illustrations at the bottom of the linked article above to help you identify the correct serial number.

Mar 23, 2024 9:27 AM in response to Missjenniferlee96

Please follow the steps in this Apple Support article. 

If you can't redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card - Apple Support

If after reviewing the article, and following the directions in the article, you need additional assistance please follow the link below to contact official Apple Support. 

Contact Apple Gift Card Support

Dec 23, 2023 9:13 AM in response to bisoye17

Be aware that gift cards should only be purchased at locations that sell them behind a counter. It is a common scam when retailers place the racks of cards out in the open for people to take a bunch of the cards and remove the grey scratch off tab and copy down the code. They will also scratch off a couple of the numbers to give them more time to use the card after it has been activated. The grey stickers can be purchased from Amazon and they will then just cover the code back up and return the cards to the racks open to the public. After you activate the card, they can use them before you get a chance to. Retailers have known about this scam for years and the ones that care about their customers will not leave them out in the open.

I find it odd that those same retailers will lock up Baby Formula, Cigarettes, and Cold Medicine to prevent them from losing money, but when it comes to their customers losing money to the most common gift card scam, they just don't care.

I mistakenly scratched off my apple giftcard code is it still useful?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.