Mac pointer won't let go — iMac

Can't move files from one folder to another. I can hit ESC and it will drop things but just back to where they were.

Cut and paste in text a no-go.

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 8:03 AM

Well to be honest I haven't seen a system with this much wrong in awhile! Below is what the report indicates:

• This machine has multiple antivirus apps installed. Clearly you have or had multiple antivirus apps installed. I can see evidence of Kapersky AV which is really nasty stuff that can cause similar issues as you are experiencing. Not to mention it makes Mac OS appear slow, unstable and just buggy.
  • TuxeraNTFSUnmountHelper This is a hack that allows you to share an external HD with a Windows machine. It is also dangerous and potentially damaging to Mac OS.
  • CocktailSchedule This is ancient maintenance app that is today worthless. It should have been uninstalled years ago.
  • silentcleanserver This is some type of cleaning app.
  • Kaspersky Lab Clear evidence that left over pieces of the Kapersky AV app was installed.
  • Torrent Torrents are most often used for downloading unpaid for apps. This is extremely dangerous as they also pass along malware not to mention if you are using it for that purpose, that is simply theft. There are some legitimate uses for a torrent, however they are pretty rare though.

Also, you apparently do not seem to care about your data as there is zero evidence you have ever backed up the computer. This is a 100% guarantee you will lose data. At the very least you should be using Time Machine to backup and safeguard your data.

My suggestion is that you do an erase and install and start over again. This will wipe out everything on the computer! Then while in the Recovery Partition you can install Mac OS and install your third party apps.

Good luck.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2023 8:03 AM in response to courante

Well to be honest I haven't seen a system with this much wrong in awhile! Below is what the report indicates:

• This machine has multiple antivirus apps installed. Clearly you have or had multiple antivirus apps installed. I can see evidence of Kapersky AV which is really nasty stuff that can cause similar issues as you are experiencing. Not to mention it makes Mac OS appear slow, unstable and just buggy.
  • TuxeraNTFSUnmountHelper This is a hack that allows you to share an external HD with a Windows machine. It is also dangerous and potentially damaging to Mac OS.
  • CocktailSchedule This is ancient maintenance app that is today worthless. It should have been uninstalled years ago.
  • silentcleanserver This is some type of cleaning app.
  • Kaspersky Lab Clear evidence that left over pieces of the Kapersky AV app was installed.
  • Torrent Torrents are most often used for downloading unpaid for apps. This is extremely dangerous as they also pass along malware not to mention if you are using it for that purpose, that is simply theft. There are some legitimate uses for a torrent, however they are pretty rare though.

Also, you apparently do not seem to care about your data as there is zero evidence you have ever backed up the computer. This is a 100% guarantee you will lose data. At the very least you should be using Time Machine to backup and safeguard your data.

My suggestion is that you do an erase and install and start over again. This will wipe out everything on the computer! Then while in the Recovery Partition you can install Mac OS and install your third party apps.

Good luck.

Nov 25, 2023 4:30 PM in response to courante

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community It is helpful to us if you download the report to your Desktop.

Nov 26, 2023 9:16 AM in response to courante

Don't copy things willy nilly onto an External Hard Disk, to backup please use Time Machine. If you are not familiar with Time Machine please click Back up your Mac with Time Machine for how to do so. It is incredibly easy and only requires an External Hard Disk. For an External Hard Disk I'd recommend a OWC Mercury Elite Pro due to their reasonable cost, high reliability and OWC service. They are a US company so if you are not in N.America they will ship, however shipping can be expensive. For that reason, they have dealers all over the world. If you need to find a list of overseas dealers let us know.

Mac pointer won't let go — iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.