iCloud Storage is Full; calendar events posted on every day

All of a sudden I have daily calendar events that say

”Your iCloud Storage is full. Receive 50 GB for Free”.

I have tried to decline but it keeps coming back. I think it is a phishing attempt. I dug into who sent it and it looks like my address but I finally found the email

Can you help me before this virus attacks my account?

I think it might be in my old email account from hotmail.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2023 3:09 PM

How did you get the events to disappear?

16 replies

Nov 26, 2023 10:26 PM in response to Voltron27

Thanks for the quick response. I am using my mail app (hotmail old account I don’t use much) and my Google mail app (priority gmail and work email). The calendar it sent events to was the Apple calendar, so not sure which email is linked to the Apple Calendar, pretty sure it is the old Hotmail.

I was finally able to turn off the events. I will go in and change all of my passwords. Ugh! I really try to use strong passwords so I don’t have to do that often. I was not able to find an unsubscribe only a decline event, but that didn’t work.

Nov 27, 2023 8:30 AM in response to CMMDuran

Honestly, I thought about it some more, and it's probably not your passwords that are the problem -- I doubt your accounts are compromised (although it's entirely possible they are). Probably what happened is that your Hotmail email address got into the hands of a spammer and they're sending you these invites hoping you'll click on a link and enter your account password, which they will then steal and gain access to your account (phishing). Or...maybe the link will install a virus on your computer which could do who-knows-what. It's just best to not click any links and ALSO to change your passwords at this time, as a precaution and to make SURE your accounts are secure.

Nov 27, 2023 8:15 AM in response to CMMDuran

If you've got your Hotmail account hooked up to the Mail app on your phone, the events from your Hotmail account will show up in the Calendar app on your iPhone. They're almost definitely from that Hotmail account. Don't click any links in the event invites. Change your password on the Hotmail account for sure and also block the sender of those invites (best to do it on Outlook.com for your Hotmail account because blocking them on your phone probably won't actually let Hotmail know you want to block them). You can then delete the events from the Calendar app or by logging in to your Hotmail account on Outlook.com and deleting them from the Calendar there. The events are almost certainly not actually in your iCloud account -- they're probably just showing up on your phone due to what I've already discussed. Once you change your Hotmail password and block the sender, they should stop.

Nov 26, 2023 9:35 PM in response to CMMDuran

It's doubtful that Apple would be offering you 50 GB free storage and doing it by creating multiple calendar events. It's also fairly unlikely you have a virus on your iPhone or affecting your iCloud account. If you are using the Mail app on your iPhone or iPad (or maybe your Mac - I don't have one of those) to retrieve email from a non-Apple account, that is the most likely culprit. It could well be that your other account has been compromised and that's where the calendar events are coming from.

First thing to do is change your password on all the email accounts you are logged into on your phone or use the Mail app with. Change your iCloud password too, mainly for good measure. Then you can delete all the extraneous calendar events and hopefully they won't come back.

You can check how much of your iCloud space you've used by logging in to icloud.com and scrolling to the bottom of the page. You'll see your usage and your allotment. 5GB is the free account. Next step up is 50 GB for $0.99/month, which is a very good deal. 5 GB isn't really enough these days. 50 GB is just right for me, especially at $12/year.

Note: You can also check your iCloud usage in the Settings menu of your phone. Settings -> [Your Name] -> iCloud.

iCloud Storage is Full; calendar events posted on every day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.