I am buying an iPhone on Facebook, i need to confirm whether it is original or not

iPhone 15 pro max

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 6:47 AM

My real concern about a device being sold on Facebook would not be that it is original, it is whether or not the device is stolen. The best you can do is have the seller provide you with the device serial number and check that with Apple's warranty checker. That will indicate if the serial number is valid. However, it still will not guarantee the device is a genuine Apple device, since many of the clone style devices will use a real serial number they have gotten off another device.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2023 6:47 AM in response to ntsika208

My real concern about a device being sold on Facebook would not be that it is original, it is whether or not the device is stolen. The best you can do is have the seller provide you with the device serial number and check that with Apple's warranty checker. That will indicate if the serial number is valid. However, it still will not guarantee the device is a genuine Apple device, since many of the clone style devices will use a real serial number they have gotten off another device.

Nov 27, 2023 6:52 AM in response to ntsika208

The only way is to physically inspect it yourself whilst it is booted up and usable before purchase, and enter its serial number at the page below:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

The iPhone 15 Pro will still be under warranty so if it comes up ok on that page, it should be alright. If it is a fake iPhone then that should be apparent with a physical inspection.

Also, consider the asking price - if it seems very cheap then it may be stolen or a knock-off. If the seller won't allow you to inspect it before purchase, that should also raise concerns.

Nov 27, 2023 9:49 AM in response to ntsika208

ntsika208 wrote:

Thanks
Just spoke to him, he says it's a demo version but is fully operational, I'll check if it is when we meet
Thank you

DON'T BUY THIS IPHONE! Apple doesn't sell Demo versions. And it is highly probably this was stolen from an Apple Store. Save yourself much heartache and loss of your money and STAY CLEAR OF THIS IPHONE!

Facebook, eBay, Offerup are three of the absolute worst places to buy an iPhone.

Nov 27, 2023 9:09 AM in response to ntsika208

he says it's a demo version but is fully operational,

Don't buy it.

Apple doesn't sell demo iPhones.

A Demo iPhone is a Property of Apple.

This iPhone cannot be used and is not for sale.

If you have bought it, return it to a nearby Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Reseller in your region.

Demo iPhones are sold on the black market, obtained when breaking into an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Reseller.

If you have bought it from some one, ask you money back.

I am buying an iPhone on Facebook, i need to confirm whether it is original or not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.