What is the best macbook pro M3 Pro for video editing

Hello.

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro M3 Pro.

I'm a graphic designer, using a rather old MacBook Air model... and I really need a good computer for video editing and to continue using Adobe's softwares (Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign)... and also, Adobe's AfterEffects. Also, because I travel a lot, I really need it to be a laptop.

I was wondering - and I accept any suggestions!! - what would be the best Processor and RAM configuration? If I could choose only one update, which one would be the best choice? I'm afraid of buying a 'basic' configuration model and not purchasing the right equipment for what I need.

Thank you for any suggestions that you may provide me.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 5:57 AM

Video editing tends to place heavy demands on RAM and storage space.

You can't expand RAM or internal storage space after purchase – but you can add external storage space – and some external SSDs are very small and portable. If it comes down to a choice between skimping on RAM, and skimping on internal storage, skimp on internal storage.

Note that Apple is selling the M3-series MacBook Pros with three different levels of processor chip:

• 'Base' M3 chip (14" models only) – The entry-level models with this chip only have two USB-C (TB) ports, and can only drive one external monitor. But they still have the HDMI port, SDXC slot, and mini-LED-backlit screen.
  • M3 Pro chip.
  • M3 Max chip.

If you think you're ever going to want to drive two external monitors, you want a M3 Pro or M3 Max chip.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2023 5:57 AM in response to JMPC

Video editing tends to place heavy demands on RAM and storage space.

You can't expand RAM or internal storage space after purchase – but you can add external storage space – and some external SSDs are very small and portable. If it comes down to a choice between skimping on RAM, and skimping on internal storage, skimp on internal storage.

Note that Apple is selling the M3-series MacBook Pros with three different levels of processor chip:

• 'Base' M3 chip (14" models only) – The entry-level models with this chip only have two USB-C (TB) ports, and can only drive one external monitor. But they still have the HDMI port, SDXC slot, and mini-LED-backlit screen.
  • M3 Pro chip.
  • M3 Max chip.

If you think you're ever going to want to drive two external monitors, you want a M3 Pro or M3 Max chip.

What is the best macbook pro M3 Pro for video editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.