Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Safari and Mail don't load contents from time to time

TL;DR:

After upgrading to macOS Sonoma, Safari and Mail.app stop working from time to time, roughly every 30 min. It lasts about 5 min.

Details:

• From time to time, both Safari and Mail.app can't load anything. At the same time, FireFox works normal. My SSH connection is still alive. Basically all the other (existing?) connections are fine.
  • Specifically, for Safari, no web page can be loaded. It appears like: the address bar is empty, with a progress bar at the bottom, but it never loads. For Mail.app, when I double click any email, a new window is supposed to pop up with the email. However, only the window pop up, but no content. Meanwhile, I can’t close the window as well.
  • This can last about 5 mins and then things will be back to normal. If at the moment I make the Internet connection (either Ethernet or Wi-Fi) inactive and active, everything is back to normal.
  • This issue happens fairly frequently, roughly every 30 mins.
  • This looks like an Apple Silicon (Mac Studio with M2 Ultra processor) specific problem. I have an Intel-based MacBook Pro with almost same environments (system preference, softwares, etc.), but never observed the issue.
  • It is not limited to Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
  • I tried to re-install macOS (a clean install after erasing the entire disk) but it didn't solve the issue. However, I did transfer data from my Time Machine backup.
  • I'm indeed using AdGuard, but disabling it or uninstalling it doesn't help.
  • I didn't have the issue back in Ventura.

Please let me know what other information is needed.

Mac Studio, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 11:53 AM

1 reply

Dec 2, 2023 9:10 AM in response to tianshilei

tianshilei wrote:

• TL;DR:
After upgrading to macOS Sonoma, Safari and Mail.app stop working from time to time, roughly every 30 min. It lasts about 5 min.

Details:
From time to time, both Safari and Mail.app can't load anything. At the same time, FireFox works normal. My SSH connection is still alive. Basically all the other (existing?) connections are fine.
• Specifically, for Safari, no web page can be loaded. It appears like: the address bar is empty, with a progress bar at the bottom, but it never loads. For Mail.app, when I double click any email, a new window is supposed to pop up with the email. However, only the window pop up, but no content. Meanwhile, I can’t close the window as well.
• This can last about 5 mins and then things will be back to normal. If at the moment I make the Internet connection (either Ethernet or Wi-Fi) inactive and active, everything is back to normal.
• This issue happens fairly frequently, roughly every 30 mins.
• This looks like an Apple Silicon (Mac Studio with M2 Ultra processor) specific problem. I have an Intel-based MacBook Pro with almost same environments (system preference, softwares, etc.), but never observed the issue.
• It is not limited to Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
• I tried to re-install macOS (a clean install after erasing the entire disk) but it didn't solve the issue. However, I did transfer data from my Time Machine backup.
• I'm indeed using AdGuard, but disabling it or uninstalling it doesn't help.
• I didn't have the issue back in Ventura.

Please let me know what other information is needed.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.1.2

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Safari and Mail don't load contents from time to time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.