Using headphone port on a Macbook Pro M1 as line in

I was wondering if it is possible to plug in an instrument (guitar in my case) to the 3.5mm headphone port with a splitter for microphone and headphone. I know this is an unusual thing to do, but since my external sound card is heavy and I know apple has really good audio hardware inside the Macbook, maybe I can use it to power my Neural DSP plugin. I'm interested in this option as it will make my rig way lighter on the go.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 10:40 AM

It won't work. The older MacBooks use to allow output or input with the same plug. Not both at the same time though. And even optical. But it hasn't been that way for several years.

There are several USB-C to audio small adaptors on Amazon.

I typed "usb-c sound for mac" in Amazon and several came up around $10-$15.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2023 10:40 AM in response to berkeokur

It won't work. The older MacBooks use to allow output or input with the same plug. Not both at the same time though. And even optical. But it hasn't been that way for several years.

There are several USB-C to audio small adaptors on Amazon.

I typed "usb-c sound for mac" in Amazon and several came up around $10-$15.

Dec 2, 2023 8:04 AM in response to berkeokur

Hi berkeokur

You cannot split the 3.5mm audio jack between a guitar and microphone or headphones and expect a decent recording. Guitars use a different impedance (electrical resistance or ohms) and need the proper electronic circuits for connection. This is much like a phonograph record player needing a pre-amp to hear the recording.

So for guitars, you need some sort of interface.

The 3.5mm port is an I/O port a.k.a. Input/Output so yes you can both input audio and export/listen at the same time. Headsets with mic works fine for example, just ask a gamer. You will need a TRRS cable to use this feature. This port has changed many times over the years so different Macs have different spec and abilities including optical, in some models.

The type of mic also matters. XLR mics will require an interface.

It is also possible to use a USB mic and use different port.

There are also guitar interfaces with USB plugs. I would look into a USB interface with guitar and XLR mic inputs with 48v phantom power for universal usage. They have gotten inexpensive and good these days.

Hope this Helps, Greg

Using headphone port on a Macbook Pro M1 as line in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.