Apple Mail Viewing Font too Small

Like many I have been plagued for years by the ridiculously small size that Apple Mail renders the font size of say Arial 12. I was hoping that all the changes made in Sonoma would resolve this but no. This does not happen in pages or notes so why do they insist on this over rendering in Apple mail? And before anybody suggest changing the font size in setting these are reflected in the email received at the other end, I have tested this with many, many colleagues and customers (over 50 of them, most of whom use Outlook) It is fine when composing a new email, command+ will increase the screen font size without issue BUT it does not work if you are replying an email you have received! What apple could do is add an additional font size option in settings of "Viewing Font" (after all they have "message list font") or is that too simple. Anybody have a working solution for replies?

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 4:29 AM

Similar questions

16 replies

Jun 14, 2024 12:18 PM in response to yhetehyewwesasDgsdghdtyjehdgn

yhetehyewwesasDgsdghdtyjehdgn wrote:

But then it shows up huge for the recipient

No, it should not do that, it should only look bigger for you. Try mailing a short message to a friend with a huge font set in those Mail Settings and ask them if it looks huge.

Normally the only way to make the recipient see the font size you choose is to set it manually in each outgoing message individually.

Dec 3, 2023 6:41 AM in response to Red October

Red October wrote:

Hi Tom, I have done that, what am I looking for?

Thanks!

Looking at your outgoing in the Sent folder, and doing View > Message > Raw Source, you should see code like that below (where I chose Marker Felt at 72), for your recipient's system to know what font/size choices you made.

Do you see something like that?

Normally Mail (at least through Ventura) will not create this code if you just set font/size in Mail > Settings > Fonts & Colors > Message Font. It will only do so if you manually set the font in the new message pane for each outgoing individually.

The recipient received the email in a their system font size and font in their outlook client But exactly as I sent it in their Apple mail client.

Outlook has a setting where the recipient can choose to ignore the font/size in those html codes and use what the recipient wants instead. Mail (at least through Ventura), does not, so it normally sees whatever the html codes stipulate, if they are present.

I cannot run Sonoma, so I don't know if these Mail behaviors have changed in the new version.

Dec 1, 2023 5:20 AM in response to Red October

Red October wrote:

And before anybody suggest changing the font size in setting these are reflected in the email received at the other end, I have tested this with many, many colleagues and customers (over 50 of them, most of whom use Outlook)

That's interesting, since it should not happen as far as I know. Could you please test this for me?

Just for the test, in mail > preferences > fonts and colors, set your message font to a large size of Marker Felt and compose a short message. Send it somewhere harmless. Then go to your Sent folder in Mail and select that message and do View > Message > Raw Source and have a look at the html codes. Do you see the name of the font and the size you had set mentioned there? Thanks!

Dec 3, 2023 7:10 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom What I see is this:

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =

charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">Good =

afternoon, [ it then goes into the rest of my message ]

I have scrolled through the whole message in the Raw Source coding text but cannot find any reference to the font Marker Felt or its size!

This may be because I am sending via an Exchange account even though I am using Apple mail.

However, are you saying that in principle no matter what I set my "Message font" to in mail settings/fonts & colours that is just how I see messages appear on the screen. It is only if I change the font within the composition window that the changes will be reflected in what the recipient sees on theirs? (this may be where I was going wrong) I will test this with a few colleagues and customers tomorrow and get back to you via this forum as I know it is driving at least 5 of my contact mad with people even changing screen resolutions just to deal with email : (

thanks again for your prompt responses.

Dec 3, 2023 7:40 AM in response to Red October

Red October wrote:

are you saying that in principle no matter what I set my "Message font" to in mail settings/fonts & colours that is just how I see messages appear on the screen. It is only if I change the font within the composition window that the changes will be reflected in what the recipient sees on theirs?

Yes, exactly. You should be able to make your font locally as large as you want via Mail settings/fonts & colors without affecting what your recipients see. Using an Exchange account should not change the html codes which Mail is creating.

When you do want to have recipients see your font, you have to do it in the composition window.

Mail's behavior in this area is frequently lamented by users who for some reason need to make sure all recipients read things with a particular font and size, because it requires a lot of extra work. For them Outlook is a better choice, because it does allow you set a default font/size which will be included in all outgoings' html codes.

Dec 3, 2023 7:57 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom,

I have also just discovered, in email conversation with a colleague testing this, that it also makes a difference if you tick the "Use fixed-width font for plain text messages" even though message format is set to Rich text in the composition window.

I agree about Outlook but the "New Outlook" search function, category search and Smart searches have taken a significant few steps back since its launch and it was all about how I see the outgoing message that matters for me.

This has helped me resolve my issues with the viewing size of mail composition so thank you, if Apple would make tagging (as opposed to flagging) work in mail as it does in folders (unless I missing another trick) I would be a really happy man

Thanks again Tom you have put me on the right path here!

Jun 14, 2024 2:31 PM in response to yhetehyewwesasDgsdghdtyjehdgn

yhetehyewwesasDgsdghdtyjehdgn wrote:

I prob tried this a decade ago and and showed up huge, but at some point they updated it? Or do all email viewers use their own view settings now?

Mail has always worked this way. Actually many users hate that, and have asked Apple to change it, because they want to easily set a default font and size that their recipients will have to see, which is a feature they can have in MS Outlook.

I don't think Mail can change the font/size of incomings whose senders have used html codes to specify those things. Outlook however lets you remove all those codes and see incomings with your own preferred fonts.

Jun 16, 2024 10:05 AM in response to phoo

phoo wrote:

Then the recipient sees ONE INCH TALL FONT ON THEIR SCREEN.

No, it should not do that, it should only look bigger for you. Try mailing a short message to a friend with a huge font set in Mail > Settings > Fonts and Colors > Message font and ask them if it looks huge.

Normally the only way to make the recipient see the font size you choose is to set it manually in each outgoing message individually.

Apple Mail Viewing Font too Small

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.