CAN I use iPod in Tesla?

I have just purchased a Tesla Model Y and am trying to to use my 5th Generation (2005) iPod to play music in it. I plugged my iPod into the USB port in the glovebox, and after charging, the iPod continually displays the "Do Not Disconnect" message.

Is there a way I can use the iPod in my Tesla?

iPod Classic

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2023 4:59 AM

Thanks for the information and I think you may be correct that this may be a Tesla issue rather than an Apple one. I tried your suggestions but with no success - whatever I did I couldn't get USB to appear on any of the menus.

I'll try talking to Tesla owners and see if I have any success.

22 replies

Dec 5, 2023 12:54 AM in response to brianbron

Just researched the issue. This is what I curated with my research.

This product is Vintage or Obsolete and support options will depend on the issue. (I need to inform you of this ahead of time, but will do everything possible to help.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

"Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty"

It's definitely old so did you try the basics like an Apple cable?

Third party ones have issues transferring data.

Dec 6, 2023 1:55 AM in response to brianbron

brianbron wrote:

No, the message remains for as long as the iPod USB plug is connected.

The Do Not Disconnect message is correct - it's what I would expect to happen. The iPod has handed all control to the car's infotainment system.

I think the time has come for you to talk with other Tesla owners or consult online videos about the Tesla, rather than anyone here. Reading through some help pages for Tesla, I noticed that the Tesla model S can only talk to an iPod via Bluetooth, despite the fact that there is a USB input in the vehicle.

I know that you have a Model Y, but my point is that at least one model Tesla is not able to use an iPod Classic, so that leads to the logical question of whether your Model Y can use it. The videos I've found are very long, so I haven't yet found exactly what I was looking for.

A couple of things that you could try though:

First of all, ensure that you have selected the USB input on the car's entertainment menu (rather than the "Media Player" menu). Try looking in the three-dot menu (which is where the USB input on the Model S is located):

The other thing to try is to start the iPod playing and then connect it to the Tesla's USB input. I needed to do this on my (now-not-working) iPod Classic with the car I had at the time. Not every time, but on the occasions when the iPod and the car refused to talk to each other, that was how I sorted it.

A final point about the Model S: the instructions for the Model S state that the USB input can be used to play music from a USB stick (memory stick) but by navigating the folders. It specifically states that the Tesla S can only use an iPod via Bluetooth, which rules out the Classic (unless you obtain a third-party Bluetooth dongle for the Classic. Even then, it may not work).

Dec 5, 2023 3:40 AM in response to iPod_touch_pro

Do Not Disconnect message is clear on the screen.

Yes I know iPod is very old, but I have seen YouTube videos of Tesla owners playing music on similar age iPods. They plug the iPod in and the Tesla reads the iPod to compile a directory of music to display on its screen (can take several minutes). Because my Do Not Disconnect message doesn't go away could this be because the Tesla cannot read my iPod? Is this some sort of formatting issue?

I am using the original Apple cable.

Tesla is brand new, so I assume software is up to date.

Dec 5, 2023 8:40 PM in response to brianbron

At this point I think it is sensible to say that there is an issue with the communication with the tesla and your iPod. At this point the best suggest I can give you is that you contact Apple Support and book a Genius Bar Appointment, they can physically check your iPod Classic and give you more suggestions/fix your music formatting.

I am sorry I could not help with this. I helped as much as I could with my resources. Again, I apologies that we could not solve this.

iptp

Mar 25, 2024 3:26 PM in response to iPod_touch_pro

I have an Ipod Gen6, with Bluetooth. According to the manual, it is supposed to be supported, but it is not recognized, at all, by my Model 3.

It does connect to other devices like my headset. After much run around on the Tesla app, and demanding to talk to someone technical, he basically said it is likely a driver issue and will hopefully be resolved in the future. I have seen others say their iPods (BLE) worked previously, then stopped after a Tesla update. So I have a car that can drive itself but can't connect to my little Bluetooth device!

Mar 27, 2024 2:54 PM in response to eobwd

I confirm the info posted by eobwd. For more than a year my iPod Nano 7th gen reliably paired with my Tesla Y via Bluetooth. Then, seemingly overnight (maybe in November 2023?), the car stopped recognizing the iPod, and since then nothing I've tried can restore the connection. I've been patiently waiting for Tesla to restore the original connectivity but, so far, to no avail.

CAN I use iPod in Tesla?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.