Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Final Cut Pro 10.7 - My Project is crashing

Hey there, I am new here because I never got an issue with this wonderful app. Recently, my project crashed. I had to use a backup, but when I try to edit in the timeline, again crashes. I have tried different tips like reset Final Cut Pro preferences, moving .flexolibrary, restarting the computer, moving the project to another library, copying all the clips, music, sfx, and paste them in another library, another project, but it is the same issue, it crashes. Is there a tip for this? My project (I don´t know if this is the answer) is a Film of 43 Minutes, 4K. It is weird because it was working all too well, but after that crash, it keeps crashing all time (3 days). My computer is an iMac 2020, 32GB RAM. Best regards!

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 9:02 AM

I just select a clip and when I click on the color wheel, it crashes. I have searched that previous version and the library, but after all that stuff that I mentioned (trying to solve it by tutorials and tips) I haven't that. Is there something I can do? I exported what I have, and editing in my Macbook Pro, but, wow, it is so difficult when you don't have the cuts of the clips, music, sfx. Sorry if I did something wrong, I got panicked.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2023 9:02 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I just select a clip and when I click on the color wheel, it crashes. I have searched that previous version and the library, but after all that stuff that I mentioned (trying to solve it by tutorials and tips) I haven't that. Is there something I can do? I exported what I have, and editing in my Macbook Pro, but, wow, it is so difficult when you don't have the cuts of the clips, music, sfx. Sorry if I did something wrong, I got panicked.

Dec 6, 2023 9:44 PM in response to rippolito

•Do I uninstall FCP 10.7, go to the Apple Store, and somehow get 10.6?

Older FCPs cannot be obtained without downgrading to an older OS.

•Do I uninstall FCP 10.7, and can I reinstall 10.6 from Time Machine? If so, can I just restore the app, start it up, and go from scratch (create a library, etc)?

A time machine is simply a function that allows you to return to an earlier state. No installation or uninstallation is required.

I believe FCP10.7 was released on December 1st. If you saved your data with a time machine, you can go back to November 30th. Did you save data with a time machine?

--

We are collecting data on crashes in FCP10.7, so please help us with your questions.

Q1: PC model?

Q2: macOS version?

Dec 14, 2023 2:18 AM in response to TheMasterRobert

The only way to solve this is to create an XML file of your FCPX 10.7 project and save it. Open the XML file with version 10.6.10 and you're done.

This problem, I noticed, occurs mainly on Macs with Intel processors.

Let's wait for Apple to release an update to fix this error.

NB: remember that before updating to a new version of FCPX you should save a copy of the previous version, in this case 10.6.10

Dec 6, 2023 7:15 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

I am having the same issues that others are having since upgrading to FCP 10.7 last week, including my working library. I can import media, create a new event, create a new project, drag clips to the timeline, no problem.

The issues seem to start when I try to adjust via the color wheels. FCP crashes and closes. Often, on reopening FCP and the project, FCP will crash immediately. If I access a previous project, sometimes it will crash, but sometimes it will open, and I can proceed. If I then try to reopen the project that crashed it in the first place, sometimes it will, and sometimes it will not. As you can see, this is no way to work.

If I am willing to wait until Apple can fix this situation in FCP 10.7, in the meantime, I am willing to go back to 10.6, create a library, and get my work done. My questions are as follows...

• Do I uninstall FCP 10.7, go to the Apple Store, and somehow get 10.6?
  • Do I uninstall FCP 10.7, and can I reinstall 10.6 from Time Machine? If so, can I just restore the app, start it up, and go from scratch (create a library, etc)?

Any help that anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated...thank you, in advance

Ron

Dec 10, 2023 2:22 PM in response to TheMasterRobert

After experiencing issues just like this with past releases of FCP, I finally did this in the App Store:

I turned off those automatic updates. Now I wait for the x.x.1 version of FCP updates because I've wasted too much time with buggy releases of FCP in the past. After the last big bug in FCP where the video image would freeze in the video preview window, Apple fixed it pretty fast, within about a week, so hopefully they'll do the same with this one.

Dec 5, 2023 2:03 PM in response to TheMasterRobert

The problem is that if I choose a Backup, all the work I did since that backup until today

The same issue will occur if the backup file was created with an older version. The last remaining backup file must be copied before use.

Always keep a backup of your data and old FCP applications. Time machine is also an effective storage method.

Once you update an old library with a new FCP, it is difficult to undo it.

Dec 9, 2023 7:32 AM in response to TheMasterRobert

Here is my workaround by reverting to FCPX 10.6.10:

1. I downloaded FCPX 10.6.10

2. In FCPX 10.7 I exported the whole Library to an XML (I already made changes to the Library before discovering the bug).

3. I opened the last backup version in 10.6.X (Movies/Final Cut Backups, then check the version of the backup in CurrentVersion.plist).

4. I imported the XML, which seemed to work perfectly for me.

[Edited by Moderator] 

May 4, 2024 12:55 PM in response to TheMasterRobert

I have a 2020 27" i Mac with a 3.6 Ghz 10-Core Intel Core i9 with 64 GB of Ram with 4 TB SSD. Final Cut Pro version 10.7.1. Crashes every 5 to 10 minutes of working in the time line. Simple video no complicated renderings and just get the spinning wheel and the screen goes black then shuts off for 30 seconds and reboots. Report the error to Apple message comes up and submit to them. Guess the time limit they put on my computer has expired and they want me to buy a new computer. Didn't use to mind paying extra for Apple products because they were the best...now they are just like the rest.

Final Cut Pro 10.7 - My Project is crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.