Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photos "Repairing Library" Stuck at 100% and Doesn't Progress, Even After a Day

Does anyone know how to fix the issue with my Photos app not progressing after it hits 100% in the "Repairing Library" mode? If I restart in Safe mode, what do I do? Fortunately, I am able to access all of my photos on my iPhone, but not on my MacBook. (I recently upgraded to Sonoma 14.1.2, but even with Monterey by Photos Library wasn't launching correctly.)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 1:38 PM

9 replies

Dec 5, 2023 2:37 PM in response to vandenherik

How large is your library? For a large library the repair can take several days.

How much free storage is on the volume where you are keeping the Photos Library?

You wrote, you can access your photos on the iPhone. Are you using iCloud Photos, and are all photos in iCloud?

If the library repair does not finish at all, it will be faster to download a fresh copy of your library from iCloud instead of trying to repair it. This is what I have done, when Photos could not open the library after a system upgrade.

• Quit or force quit Photos, if it is still running.
  • Launching Photos again while holding down the options key and creating a new , empty Photos Library.
  • Then I made the new library the system photos library (in the Photos > Settings > General: Use as system Photos Library).
  • Then I made the library the iCloud Photos Library in the Photos > Settings > iCloud.

Now we just have to wait for the photos to come back from iCloud. It will be faster than repairing the library and waiting for the repaired library being uploaded again to iCloud and merged into the existing iCloud Photos Library.

Dec 7, 2023 10:01 AM in response to vandenherik

Thanks for the help!

My Library is indeed HUGE (131K photos, 4.5K videos). I am fortunately able to access it via my iPhone and via iCloud.com, but not via Photos anymore. Is this a known issue?

I have tried creating a new, empty Photo Library in Photos, but unfortunately, after I designate it as my Systems photo library, Photos doesn't complete the action and just stops responding after a while.

I have a feeling it my library is just too big to be viewed in the Photos app on my MacBook Pro, which is a huge bummer, as I used to use my Mac to organize all of the photos into different albums.

Is there a way to break my one library into several libraries, perhaps using my iPhone or iCloud.com?

Dec 7, 2023 11:26 AM in response to vandenherik

Where is the local copy of your library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder on the system drive or on an external drive?

If the library is on an external drive, you may want to check this with Disk Utility, if it is starting to fail.

Photos may be losing the connection to the system photos library, if it is on an external drive, and this drive is getting dismounted while we are still logged in.

Your library is really large. I have split my library as well.

• My system photos library is holding only my favourites, that I want to access on all devices, and the new photos I am currently working with.
  • all other photos and videos are archived on an external drive in yearly libraries and small libraries for each photo shooting travel.

It is easy to split a library, but only, if it has been fully downloaded from iCloud. Then we can simply duplicate the library and delete from the copy all photos that we do not want in this partial library. I am I am using a smart album based on a data range to select the photos to delete from copy.

But before you can split the library you will have to get it downloaded, with all original image files included, not with "optimize storage".

Jan 27, 2024 2:13 PM in response to léonie

stored /Users/me/Pictures, same drive, internal SSD

im not opposed to splitting the library, but I'm fighting a string of issues at the moment

-i had an ios issue so I had to restore from backup

-i tried to import photos before that, but had a distorted imported image issue

-i tried to fix the distorted issue, but for clarity on affected files, I had to UNsync my photos

-unsync failed and gave me the library not available error

-solution to that required library repair

-and here i am at library repair stuck at 100%..

Photos "Repairing Library" Stuck at 100% and Doesn't Progress, Even After a Day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.