iPhone 15 Pro has grey lines when shooting product photography

Hi everyone. I have a brand new iPhone 15 Pro. When I point the camera at a white background, immediately, one or two large grey lines appear. If I try to take a product photo with a white background, the iPhone places its grey bars over the whole area. Any ideas? Here's an example. I pointed the camera at a white background, and these grey bars appeared. This is the actual picture the iPhone took with no cropping. Taking a picture of say a person is completely fine.

Posted on Dec 7, 2023 3:39 PM

9 replies

Mar 29, 2024 2:41 AM in response to shopkins1994

I have a similar problem with my iPhone 15 pro. It only occurs when taking photos in my studio using inexpensive daylight LED & compact fluorescent lights with a textured white PVC backdrop. The backdrop is a repurposed outdoor sign banner. If I take photos outside the problem does not occur. I previously had an iPhone 11 and 13 Pro and the problem didn’t happen with those 2 phone models and my studio setup was exactly the same.

I’ve had 4-5 consultations with Apple over the phone, one visit to an Apple Store Genius Bar and a couple of consultations with a senior Apple customer service representative. We tried all sorts of phone setting changes, various combinations of the two types of lights I use, plus updating the phones software, etc. Nothing helped so they sent me a “new” (refurbished) phone and it has the same problem. The senior customer service rep believes that it is a software issue, so I may get stuck waiting for Apple to develop a fix.

I run a small online retail business (eBay) that account's for nearly half of my income and this problem has brought it to a near screeching halt, as these gray bars have to be edited out of every photo.

When I first started having this problem some months ago you could google this issue and basically come up empty. Now as a substantial number of these phones have been sold to resellers who obviously use similar studio setups, a google search will show a considerable number of iPhone 15 pro users who are having the same problem. Hopefully this trend will continue and Apple will be put under more and more pressure to fix this problem.

I believe that is my only hope.

Mar 29, 2024 4:14 AM in response to srey0714

I have somewhat found what the issue is. The iPhone has a problem with light exposure. If there’s too much white (from the white backdrop) then the lines appear. If I fill the area up with colorful items then the lines go away. I have tried both LED and fluorescent lights. You are correct that outside the problem goes away, so it must be a combination of un-natural light sources and large amounts of white.

iPhone 15 Pro has grey lines when shooting product photography

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.