Some iCloud Data Isn't Syncing

"Some iCloud Data Isn't Syncing"

This MacBook Pro isn't syncing your end-to-end encrypted data across all of your devices. It includes saved passwords and data from Health and Maps. Verify your account information to resume syncing."

Resume Data Sync isnt working

Findmy doesn't work

Messages never finishes to sync

Messages in the cloud cannot be turned off

Apple whats going on? I reinstalled the system, created new user. STILL ITS NOT WORKING.

I refuse to do anymore troubleshooting. iCloud is an annoying ever broken service. Laugh at me, because i am still paying for this.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 3:10 PM

+1. Updated a newly acquired 2020 M1 Macbook Pro to Sonoma 14.2, and it is hung up on this message. Attempting to click "Resume Data Sync" results in nothing happening. Activity Monitor displays "Family (Not Responding)" and "AAUIFollowUpsExtension (FollowUps (System Settings)) (Not Responding)". Have tried restarting, shutting down, as well as a full factory restart and this doesn't resolve it.

clicking on "Resume Data Sync" just locks up the entire System Settings application until you force quit the 2 services in question using Activity Monitor.

Sure would be nice if iCloud worked correctly or would at least provide some sort of user feedback as to what the error is.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2023 3:10 PM in response to Gordon Shamway

+1. Updated a newly acquired 2020 M1 Macbook Pro to Sonoma 14.2, and it is hung up on this message. Attempting to click "Resume Data Sync" results in nothing happening. Activity Monitor displays "Family (Not Responding)" and "AAUIFollowUpsExtension (FollowUps (System Settings)) (Not Responding)". Have tried restarting, shutting down, as well as a full factory restart and this doesn't resolve it.

clicking on "Resume Data Sync" just locks up the entire System Settings application until you force quit the 2 services in question using Activity Monitor.

Sure would be nice if iCloud worked correctly or would at least provide some sort of user feedback as to what the error is.

Dec 13, 2023 7:41 PM in response to Trilantis

Here is what it looks like when you have this bug:

If you put in your CORRECT hardware password as prompted, you will get this error, although you might have to wait 15 or 20 minutes for the screen to come up. If you have this bug on your phone, try turning off Wifi, I was getting disconnected from calls right and left and that stopped after turning off Wifi.

Now get ready to live without iMessages, the Keychain, Airpods that connect to your devices, and stable phone connections until Apple releases a patch.

Dec 13, 2023 4:26 PM in response to ConorL11

I am experiencing this exact same issue as ConorL11 after installing Sonoma yesterday. I also have "AAUI...Extension" (not responding) as well as the inability to "Resume Data Sync". That button doesn't do anything at all for me. No response on the OS. No error message.

iCloud has been really terrible at syncing on my Macbook for a while now, but Sonoma is now crashing my System preferences with this new iCloud Sync error.

I can create a new user ID with Admin privileges on my own Macbook Pro which "fixes" the issue in that profile...

However, my main profile can't even launch the system preferences to address this issue due to crashing almost 90% of the time. Even Safe Boot mode crashes. This seems to be a common problem based on the forums and there is no guaranteed solution I have found. Help anyone? Apple?

Dec 13, 2023 7:24 PM in response to Gordon Shamway

Same here. Advanced data protection is enabled on my iCloud account and I am unable to resume encrypted data sync on a clean install of Sonoma 14.2. I can click the button and get a window to verify my device passcode, but it fails. Can’t use a code from a trusted contact either. I thought I would just turn off ADP from my Phone or iPad but the funny thing is, I can’t do that either….settings hangs when I try to disable (and I immediately get an email saying ADP was enabled on my account…huh?)

Contacted Apple Support and they stated it is a known issue that will be fixed in a future software update. If you’re experiencing this issue, I’d recommending contacting them to add a +1 to the bug.

Dec 13, 2023 7:16 PM in response to Gordon Shamway

Support said Sonoma 14.2 was released on Dec. 11th and I only started seeing this "Some iCloud Data Isn't Syncing" bug after installing that on desktops, all the other bug reports are from after Dec. 11th. I have laptops, a phone, and a tablet that are broken this way. The phone is so badly compromised by this that if Wifi is on I am getting disconnected from calls with Apple support. Airpods won't stay connected because they are associated with my iCloud account. I was having to use speakerphone and all support would say is that they couldn't hear me, could I fix my audio. They seemed clueless at all levels of support. I am having to use someone else's phone to call support about it. Machines not on 14.2 are working fine. With hundreds of tries I have managed to get to the panes which eventually come up if you click the "Resume Data Sync" button, screen shots of those are enclosed, along with the error messages which come up if you CORRECTLY enter the passwords for your other machine passwords.

Dec 14, 2023 12:02 AM in response to ConorL11

Following up here that after an hour on the phone with apple support and getting escalated to senior support, I was able to get a solution in place. Since I was working with a newly acquired mac, we were able to factory reset, wipe the drive from the highest volume in the stack, then re-install the OS from there. Definitely don't recommend doing this without support helping, or if you have important data on the computer, but it ended up working out for my specific use case.

Dec 14, 2023 10:28 AM in response to Trilantis

it restarted back to Ventura (because that's the default OS of my macbook), then I was able to get everything signed in as expected. When I updated back to 14.2 after getting iCloud fully set up, the same error message initially popped, but it behaved as expected when I clicked "Resume Data Sync". So I would probably just wait till 14.3 comes out just in case.

Some iCloud Data Isn't Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.