Where are the geometrical shapes to resize, reposition and superimpose?

It's one of those days and my mind has gone blank!

I want a solid circle shape (amongst others) that I can drag and drop over various parts of the frame.

It's dead simple but I can't remember how to do it.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Dec 14, 2023 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 8:03 PM

Hi Ian,

Thank you for that!

I redesigned the title — it now supports ovals and rotation.

I got rid of the OnScreen Control - just click and drag the text where you want it.

The original OSC was off-center, but I've provided center guides (Show Center) so that you can align other graphics to it. (It seems to be accurate — considering what I had to go through to get it!!)

I added a Circle Text - Badge *effect* that can be added (multiple times) to the title — with it, you can create easy to fit shapes (circles/ovals) to the text.

Circle Text - Badge has an OSC ("Poke") which will help you align the shape to the center of the text (using the Center guides).

The blend mode defaults to Behind, but you can "Bring to Front" to fill inside circles. It also has the Radius and Rotation controls that can be used to match the text. Fill and Outline options included.

As shown, Circle Text supports "multi-line" entries (the lower text above is one Circle Text object - centered, sized, with different fonts in the Text Inspector.)

The following shows 1 Circle Text multiline* with 3 Badge effects applied on the left and an Oval example on the right:

Be careful using the Badge OSCs when they're over the Circle Text region — you will need to change the Select Tool to Trim (type T), Blade (type B), or one of the others. Type A to return to the select tool for the timeline.

If you want to, or need to animate the position of the title (with effects) you will need to add another effect to the title that can handle Transforms (or use the "master" Transform parameters... which annoy me...LOL).

*The two lines have the first and second lines selected separately to have different properties like tracking and line-spacing applied...

Hopefully, the two templates should make all the work much more simple...

HTH (let me know what you think after you've had a chance to play with it awhile.)

Almost forgot:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/sdm_downloads/circle-text-kit/

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2023 8:03 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Hi Ian,

Thank you for that!

I redesigned the title — it now supports ovals and rotation.

I got rid of the OnScreen Control - just click and drag the text where you want it.

The original OSC was off-center, but I've provided center guides (Show Center) so that you can align other graphics to it. (It seems to be accurate — considering what I had to go through to get it!!)

I added a Circle Text - Badge *effect* that can be added (multiple times) to the title — with it, you can create easy to fit shapes (circles/ovals) to the text.

Circle Text - Badge has an OSC ("Poke") which will help you align the shape to the center of the text (using the Center guides).

The blend mode defaults to Behind, but you can "Bring to Front" to fill inside circles. It also has the Radius and Rotation controls that can be used to match the text. Fill and Outline options included.

As shown, Circle Text supports "multi-line" entries (the lower text above is one Circle Text object - centered, sized, with different fonts in the Text Inspector.)

The following shows 1 Circle Text multiline* with 3 Badge effects applied on the left and an Oval example on the right:

Be careful using the Badge OSCs when they're over the Circle Text region — you will need to change the Select Tool to Trim (type T), Blade (type B), or one of the others. Type A to return to the select tool for the timeline.

If you want to, or need to animate the position of the title (with effects) you will need to add another effect to the title that can handle Transforms (or use the "master" Transform parameters... which annoy me...LOL).

*The two lines have the first and second lines selected separately to have different properties like tracking and line-spacing applied...

Hopefully, the two templates should make all the work much more simple...

HTH (let me know what you think after you've had a chance to play with it awhile.)

Almost forgot:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/sdm_downloads/circle-text-kit/

Dec 14, 2023 9:07 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

How do I get curved writing like this in the circle?

Ian's first reply to me was regarding keyframe animation. I remember being very happy to receive a reply.✉️🥰

Making the text follow a round circle is similar to the clock face of an animated clock. As fox_m said, it is possible if you center the anchor point and set the angle and position (entered in the text inspector) to the text. *Correct: Anchor, mistake: Aanchor🤦‍♀️

You can create it using just FCP, but it takes time because you need to set each character one by one.

Dec 14, 2023 7:14 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Several years ago I built a title that automatically figured out how to center itself around a circle... fun project... requires division by a variable value though (2π*Radius) which can't be done in Motion (at least not without a TON of work or loss of precision if taking shortcuts). The outline of how it worked disappeared with fcp.co... anyway...

This ain't it.

This one is easier but requires manual centering — but I included an optional "guide" to make it really easy.

The cyan guide gives a reference to help align the ends. If you need it to "touch" there's an option to thicken the line. For precision alignment, hold the option key down and drag the number values up and down.

Use Flip Orientation to wrap text at the bottom of a circle.

I know you know what you're doing, so I won't insult your intelligence explaining the details. [The example at the top uses other templates to create the backdrops - not included with this title.]

You can download the title here:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/sdm_downloads/circle-text-simple/

then if you have any questions - ask!

Hope it helps!

Dec 16, 2023 8:17 PM in response to fox_m

/ Impressions using [Circle Text - Simple 3] and [Circle Text - Badge] /

--

I think it would go well with a geometric background. What I felt was unsuitable for photos with natural backgrounds. When I applied the plug-in to a photo of a rose or to my eyes, it was difficult to get it to blend in because there was no blur function 😰

You can adjust it by using a lot of other effects, but I thought it would be useful if it worked alone.

Actually, I wanted to paste [Circle Text - Badge] on the concrete wall behind the rose and use the distortion function to create a nameplate with a sense of perspective. But it was difficult to blend in with the blurring of the edges and the texture of the wall, so I gave up.

In the case of video clips, I think it would be possible to synchronize the camera movement and nameplate by combining it with the tracking function.

Dec 15, 2023 2:08 AM in response to fox_m

Many thanks to LocaAlicia and fox_m!

The season of giving has come early and I am in awe of the practical expertise displayed!

As I am by nature extremely lazy, I opted for fox_m's solution which does exactly what it says on the tin, "circle-text-simple".

I can't say that I have mastered everything in a couple of minutes but here goes for starters . . .

Dec 15, 2023 11:54 PM in response to fox_m

What can I say?

The "simple" one was great but this one is . . . I'm lost for words!

I'm like the proverbial kid in the candy store . . . I don't know where to begin.

I haven't had time to test it properly but there is one feature that puzzles me as it doesn't appear to do anything. It's this horizontal line below the Path Offset slider. I have attempted to click it, drag it, open it but nothing seems to happen.

What does it do? Or is it just there for that purpose . . . to get everyone puzzling over it? 🤔

Dec 16, 2023 1:17 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

It's this horizontal line below the Path Offset slider. What does it do?

This is an example of increasing the radius to 700. I think it's because it's easier to understand if there is a guide line to match the upper limit of the text with the background landmark. I think it's fox_m's kindness, but is my explanation correct?

In the attached photo, the guide line is aligned with the leaf in the upper right corner of the pink rose.

It seems that you can also erase the guide line if you don't need it.

I should have put the Circle Text Badge folder in the Effects folder.

Haha, I stored it in the title folder.😂

Dec 16, 2023 8:38 PM in response to LocaAlicia

You have access to *all* features for text in the Text Inspector (Face, Outline, Glow and Drop Shadow - even 3D Text).

The Badge is an Effect and it doesn't have to be applied to the Circle Text title. If you apply it to video and use the Effects Mask > Color Mask to select the color of the Rose (then Invert it), you can set Bring to Front and position it something like:

(Text drop shadow applied.)

I'm still stuck in 10.4.10 so I don't know anything about tracking (be interested to know how it works out for this, though...)

Dec 16, 2023 11:10 PM in response to fox_m

The Badge is an Effect and it doesn't have to be applied to the Circle Text title. If you apply it to video and use the Effects Mask > Color Mask to select the color of the Rose (then Invert it), you can set Bring to Front and position it something like:

Thank you for your reply. There is a discrepancy from how I imagined it would fit in, but that's probably because my explanation was insufficient. I think you can use another function to fill in the solid parts of the effect and process the edges.

be interested to know how it works out for this, though

Get tracking data from video clips using badge effects (just place the badge icon on your face). I tweaked that data and then applied it to the text. The masked woman is completed.🎭

Dec 16, 2023 9:38 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I haven't had time to test it properly but there is one feature that puzzles me as it doesn't appear to do anything. It's this horizontal line below the Path Offset slider. I have attempted to click it, drag it, open it but nothing seems to happen.

What does it do? Or is it just there for that purpose . . . to get everyone puzzling over it? 🤔

It's just a separator line. It's there to make a little more room between the Path Offset and the more "optional" parameters, similar to the "FONT" line below.

Dec 16, 2023 11:42 PM in response to LocaAlicia

That's cool! First time I've seen one of my templates used with the new tracking.

I'm not sure what you want to be able to do with the Badge effect... but yes, definitely, you can add effects on effect to alter what you have in just the single effect (like blurs, other color effects, stroke effects for the outline, etc.)

Where are the geometrical shapes to resize, reposition and superimpose?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.