Since the latest update on my iPhone 7, I can no longer add an empty shape to a photo (to act as a highlight for a certain area of the photo)

I don't know if anyone else has found this problem, but since the latest update on my iPhone 7, I can no longer add an empty shape to a photo (to act as a highlight for a certain area of the photo).

Until last week, I was able to edit photographs to highlight a certain area of the photo - for example, showing a particular tree or plant. In effect, I was just using it as a frame, and I could choose different colour "frame" outlines.

I can still do this "frame" creation on my iPad, but not on the iPhone. (I know, first world problems, but it's handy to be able to do this while I'm out and about.)

I've also found that the photo editing background on the iPhone is all black now, and harder on the the eyes. Can this be returned to the original white?

Thanks for any tips you may have.

First and second pic are from iPad,

third and fourth from iPhone

Inside the "frame", it can be made transparent, but the edging of the frame can't be changed.

I do so wish they wouldn't just make these changes without giving us the option of toggling something on/off.

Inner frame made transparent, but actual frame can't be made thicker or given a different colour, as on the iPad

iPhone SE

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 1:31 AM

6 replies

Dec 15, 2023 1:54 AM in response to Qunicorn

Click the third colour dot - directly to the left of (0) to adjust the transparency of the fill color.

Each of the dots has a separate transparency slider -one for the overall transparency, one for the transparency of the border, one for the fill colour.

As to the dark background - you could switch the display to "Light Mode" instead of Dark Mode in the Settings > Display or in the Control Center: Adjust the screen brightness and color on iPhone - Apple Support (MZ)

Since the latest update on my iPhone 7, I can no longer add an empty shape to a photo (to act as a highlight for a certain area of the photo)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.