How to Install Windows on a Mac without Bootcamp Assistant?

I currently own a Mac and would like to install the Windows operating system on it. However, I want to explore alternative methods as I'd like to avoid using Boot Camp Assistant, the default utility provided by Apple for this purpose. Unfortunately, I'm unaware of any other reliable methods or tools to accomplish this task.

Hence, I kindly request your assistance and expertise in guiding me through the process of installing Windows on my Mac without using Boot Camp Assistant. I understand the importance of compatible software and the potential risks involved in altering the operating system, so I seek lawful and secure methods only.

Posted on Dec 16, 2023 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2024 3:43 AM

It is still possible to install Windows 10/8/7 on an Intel based Mac. For dual-boot, you can go with Bootcamp Assistant if it is available on your Mac. If not, then you should first make a Windows bootable USB on Mac and install Windows from the USB drive.

Here is a quick guide you can follow to create a Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac:

https://www.uubyte.com/online-help/iso-editor.html

After that, you should back up your Mac and erase the disk to MS-DOS FAT32 (Master Boot Recorder).

Finally, press the Option key to boot from the drive and start installing Windows on your Mac with Bootcamp.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2024 3:43 AM in response to Brooks1114

It is still possible to install Windows 10/8/7 on an Intel based Mac. For dual-boot, you can go with Bootcamp Assistant if it is available on your Mac. If not, then you should first make a Windows bootable USB on Mac and install Windows from the USB drive.

Here is a quick guide you can follow to create a Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac:

https://www.uubyte.com/online-help/iso-editor.html

After that, you should back up your Mac and erase the disk to MS-DOS FAT32 (Master Boot Recorder).

Finally, press the Option key to boot from the drive and start installing Windows on your Mac with Bootcamp.

Dec 17, 2023 7:21 PM in response to Brooks1114

If you have an Apple Silicon Mac, then things are much more complicated and restricted.

It is possible to use the Windows ARM version with a Parallels' VM, but there are a lot of limitations & restrictions with this option (still requires a proper Windows' license). Both Microsoft and Parallels have some documentation on how this works and the various limitations & restrictions.

Another option would be to use the third party UTM app which uses QEMU at its core which is a free open source machine emulator & virtualizer to mimic different CPU architectures so you can run an OS for a completely different CPU architecture on an Apple Silicon Mac. With UTM you can install the Intel version of Windows OS (you will need a proper Windows' license). However, there are a lot of limitations....the performance will be slow since you are emulating a different system plus running a virtualized instance of an OS as well. Plus you won't have access to any GPU hardware acceleration. For some apps this option may work fine, but for others it will be insufficient.

There is no Windows Bootcamp option for an Apple Silicon Mac so there is no way to run Windows on bare metal on an Apple Silicon Mac.

Dec 16, 2023 7:59 PM in response to Brooks1114

If it is an Intel-based Mac, you could install Windows inside of a virtual machine and run Windows at the same time that macOS is running.

Parallels sells virtual machine software (Parallels Desktop) – and VMware offers a free personal-use license to use VMware Fusion Player. (Either way, you will need to obtain a legitimate copy of Windows.)

How to Install Windows on a Mac without Bootcamp Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.