MacBook Pro display is flickering

Hello, I experienced the display flickering, meaning shifting from to black screen with high frequency. My parameters: 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB, Sonoma.

However, when I connect the Macbook to the external display with a type C cable no flickering remains on both displays.

I've tried playing with updating OS, rebooting in save mode (no flickering was as save mode on), and some display settings. However, the issue still remains.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 9:40 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 18, 2023 10:58 AM in response to arsk_052

arsk_052 wrote:

Thank you for the advice! I did the recommended, albeit the problem still remains.

An external display triggers the Discreet gfx card

if the Integraed gfx card has a fault, you can (without external display) launch something like your Photos.app to trigger the Discreet GPU— and compare your results.

You may be able to turn off/on automatic graphic switching(?) and compare your results.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Get your mac repaired and how much will it cost

Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Dec 17, 2023 12:52 PM in response to arsk_052

arsk_052 wrote:

Hello, I experienced the display flickering, meaning shifting from to black screen with high frequency. My parameters: 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB, Sonoma.

However, when I connect the Macbook to the external display with a type C cable no flickering remains on both displays.

I've tried playing with updating OS, rebooting in save mode (no flickering was as save mode on), and some display settings. However, the issue still remains.

An external monitor will kick in the Discreet graphics card.. typically this is the one that develops issue, not the Integrated GPU..

therefore I would suspect you have a display issue...

Interesting your SafeBoot mode— this mode use the Integrated gfx, system accelerations are disabled.

SafeBoot mode:

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

if you are unsure—You can get a good look at your User/System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Dec 18, 2023 9:11 AM in response to arsk_052

arsk_052 wrote:

<Log.log>
Thank you for the detailed answer! I will try to dig in the apps which might cause it.

Here is the report:

<Runtime: 6:14 Performance: Below Average>

You would expect a runtime of 3 minutes or less...

< Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.>

> Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.>

why?

<Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.>

Start—

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Cisco AnyConnect

VPN Proxy Master

NordVPN

OpenVPN

Tunnelblick.app VPN

Touch VPN

Check Point Endpoint Security VPN software.

Checkpoint/Endpoint Connect/TracSrvWrapper

VirtualBox — I have seen issue with this application

MacBook Pro display is flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.