Why can’t I purchase free apps?

i can’t download

ir update any apps. Eva use it says I need to update my payment. I’m not purchasing anything so idk why I can’t use my App Store for anything g. I don’t know how much apple

is trying to authorize a payment for but I’ve tried to use all my cards and none work even ones with money on it. Granted I only have a few dollars in them but still won’t work and it’s frustrating

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 6:03 PM

5 replies

Dec 18, 2023 8:43 AM in response to Nicolasa723

Apple's official support articles present multiple statements about requiring the presence of a payment method at times, even for free items. If you are encountering one of those situations then based on the documents I suspect you have no option but to enter a valid payment method if you wish to continue downloading. Read the support article Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support about how to do that. The payment method may not be charged if you also have account balance or the item is free, but the payment method has to be present. This next article lists valid payment methods for different countries but note that in this situation Apple Account balance alone apparently may not meet the requirement and you need to use another payment method until you find one that satisfies Apple's requirement (often a credit or debit card): Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support .

If you have already entered a payment method, use the second link above to check it. If a message appears in red there is a problem with it. If the information is still correct and current, contact your financial institution. Also check this resource --> If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Read this document about how to view your current payment types and add Apple ID payment methods on an Apple mobile device, a Mac, or a PC --> Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

If an item appears in red then it is no longer working and you either need to replace it or get it working again. Apple may require the presence of a valid payment method such as a card, even if an app is free. You won't be charged but the card has to be there and in working order.

Check this resource about what to do if your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store. Click here --> If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

- Apple is checking with your financial institution if the payment method is valid and receiving a negative response. Make sure the name and address are entered exactly as it appears on your financial institution bills and that the 3 digit CVV is correct. Check with your financial institution about the status of your card.

- Make sure your payment method is up to date or to try a different one ( If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support ).

- Make sure this is one of the payment methods that you can use with your account, as listed in this support article: Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support .

・Unfortunately the payment methods list is somewhat general and does include individual brands of cards (I guess there are too many and are constantly changing).

・Also read any footnotes in the document.

・If you are trying to use a payment method from another country you may encounter problems. Apple nowhere states outright your payment method must come from the same country as that to which your ID is set, but some contributors to the forum (none of us work for Apple) say—without any substantiation on Apple's part—this is the case. In fact what Apple says about international payment methods is found in If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support where it says: "You might need to ask your financial institution to allow international purchases on your debit or credit card". It could be there is some other unstated requirement that raises problems such as the billing address for the card must be in the same country as your account country even if the issuer is a foreign bank. Apple does not say but usually it is easiest to just use a card from the same country as your Apple Account setting.

・Finally, note that the document only says which methods _are_ acceptable. Apparently certain types (usually a credit or debit card) _must_ also be present under certain situations such as when a subscription is involved.

If you still have problems, contact official Apple Support. Click here --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support Select your country, then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world, in this article --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

If you're in India, click on this link to read an April 2022 notice 'About billing for Apple subscriptions and media products in India' --> About billing for Apple subscriptions and media products in India - Apple Support

Additional verification that may be required when making purchases in Europe --> About billing and purchases in Europe - Apple Support

Dec 17, 2023 6:25 PM in response to Nicolasa723

Maybe try and get a gift card and add that to your account. If the app is a free app, you won't be charged anything on your Apple account. Most free apps that you come across will also have in-app purchases where a payment method would be required. Since using the in-app purchase is the way the developer gets paid for those free apps, a payment method is required.

Jun 15, 2024 6:09 AM in response to FkImpussdd

FkImpussdd wrote:

Apple needs to be better at what they are doing! Putting a credit card for everything is f! Ridiculous!!!

You will find most apps that developers provide contain in-app purchases or subscriptions that you will need to have a credit card to use. You would be mistaken if you think a developer is going to spend their time and money to develop and continue to maintain an app that they provide for you to download. They offer these in-app purchases and free trials in hopes you will reward their efforts if you find their app useful. Without a credit card on file there is not chance that will happen.

If developers were not able to make money or at least recoup their costs for making the apps, then you would not have any apps to download. They are not doing it out of the goodness of their heart. Of course, without any apps to download, you wouldn't need to use a credit card either. Is that what you want, or do you expect them to spend their own money and time just so you can have apps to download?

Jun 15, 2024 6:45 AM in response to FkImpussdd

FkImpussdd wrote:

Apple needs to be better at what they are doing! Putting a credit card for everything is f! Ridiculous!!!

You are oversimplifying it. You may not always need a credit card. Please read all the situations where you do need one. Truly free apps may not need one at all once you have provided on the first time. My local library has an app that is 100% free with no in-app purchases.

You may find that once you have provided a card once, that even if you then remove it you can still download some apps. However, if there is a subscription then Apple wants to make sure you have some way to pay for it in an ongoing manner.

If you don't want your card there, remove it when you are done.

Why can’t I purchase free apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.