How do I Convert MP3 to M4A on my Mac?

I find that having my audio files in the M4A format is crucial as it would enable me to have more features that are not supported by MP3 files. But I haven't find a straightforward method to convert MP3 to M4A on my Mac.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could provide guidance on an effective and reliable method to convert MP3 to M4A on Mac. I am particularly looking for step-by-step instructions or recommendations for reliable software or online tools that are compatible with the Mac operating system.

Posted on Dec 18, 2023 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 5:40 AM

Alright, if you're looking to convert MP3 to M4A on your Mac without fuss, grab VLC Media Player or audio converter ultimate. It works great on macOS, and gets the job done without needing a bunch of steps.

check this guide: https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/3ways-to-convert-mp3-to-m4a-on-mac.html

9 replies

Dec 18, 2023 4:53 AM in response to MonseyStrage

Apple has included the afconvert utility for years. It is a command line (e.g. Terminal) tool that as I have just done, will convert an .mp3 to .m4a audio file.

Place a sample .mp3 file on your Desktop and then open the Terminal application. Enter the following adjusting for your .mp3 filename, and at the end of the entered content, press return. Don't copy/paste this.

cd ~/Desktop
/usr/bin/afconvert ./foo.mp3 -o foo.m4a -q 127 -b 256000 -f m4af -d aac

You will find a foo.m4a audio file on you Desktop. More information about afconvert can be found here, and from the command line:

/usr/bin/afconvert -h
/usr/bin/afconvert -hf

For a visual interface more user friendly than the Terminal, you might consider launching the Mac App Store, and searching for audio converter. The first app, The Audio Converter has 2.1K reviews with an average of 4.5 stars. I do not use this tool so no vested interest.

How do I Convert MP3 to M4A on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.