Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Update for WhatsApp was a downgrade.

1. I have an iMac OS 10.15.7. I was invited to Update WhatsApp, but when I actioned the update WhatsApp ceased to function. Although I am able to access WhatsApp on my new refurb iPhone 13 I am unable to use it on my iMac. When I tried to find the WhatsApp app the only option was for MacOS 11 or later. I feel cheated because I am 77 and rely on my iMac & have difficulty using my iPhone for much other than phonecalls.
  2. Is there a solution?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Dec 18, 2023 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2023 2:22 PM

Thanks Phil0124. Sadly my iMac is Late 2013 - the most recent not to be able to upgrade to Big Sur. the update was offered from the App Store and that is why I feel particularly aggrieved with Apple. After the selecting update the app partially loaded across the 'load bar' then stopped three quarters of the way greyed out & then vanished from the screen. I forced quit and even re-booted without any success and finally uninstalled.

Thank you for trying to help but it seems I shall have to make do with trying to use WhatsApp on my iPhone 12 rather than the 21.5" screen - not easy when you are 77. I still feel badly let down by Apple. I could get the web version to load but not to to install and to try to load it every time is a non-starter.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2023 2:22 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks Phil0124. Sadly my iMac is Late 2013 - the most recent not to be able to upgrade to Big Sur. the update was offered from the App Store and that is why I feel particularly aggrieved with Apple. After the selecting update the app partially loaded across the 'load bar' then stopped three quarters of the way greyed out & then vanished from the screen. I forced quit and even re-booted without any success and finally uninstalled.

Thank you for trying to help but it seems I shall have to make do with trying to use WhatsApp on my iPhone 12 rather than the 21.5" screen - not easy when you are 77. I still feel badly let down by Apple. I could get the web version to load but not to to install and to try to load it every time is a non-starter.

Dec 18, 2023 1:06 PM in response to EricBogle

Whatsapp is a Facebook / Meta owned service and app. It has nothing to do with Apple. If they issued an update, then its on them to make it work or if it doesn't.,

Yes, the current version of the Whatsapp app no longer works on macOS versions earlier than 11.

You can use the web site version of Whatsapp at https://web.whatsapp.com

You can also, consider updating your Mac to macOS 11 (Big Sur) or later if it supports a later version to continue running the Whatsapp app.

Feb 23, 2024 11:58 PM in response to EricBogle

It's quite frustrating. Uptodown.com, a French site, offers all the previous releases of Whatsapp, so in theory you can download the old version that corresponds to your OS. BUT, as soon as the program installs, it immediately proceeds to download an "update", and knocks itself out of business. There should be a way to keep it from updating, but AFAIK there isn't.

Dec 18, 2023 1:29 PM in response to EricBogle

Apple would not warn you about updates provided by 3rd party developers, they have no way of knowing if the update provided for a 3rd party app is compatible with you system or not. Though in general it should not have been able offer an update from the App Store that does not work on your operating system as that is specifically defined for the update and the App store would not offer it then.

The other option, is the update is compatible with your computer, but its just glitched out or something else happened. You mentioned "it ceased to function". But did not explain what that means exactly. What happened when it updated, and whether or not you have tried to force close the app, and attempted to open it again.

Whether you can update your Mac depends on what model / year of Mac you have. macOS 11 Big Sur is compatible with the computers listed in the following link.

click here ➜ macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

You can get a copy of macOS 11 from the Mac App Store app, by using the link in the support document linked below.

click here ➜ How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Mar 5, 2024 6:55 AM in response to sandu bulandra ciprian

sandu bulandra ciprian wrote:

Hallo Leute! I used the simple method: I no longer buy from Apple because I suffered from it in the past. THEY PURPOSE TO CHANGE THEM. This is robbery! I will not recommend this company to anyone in the future!

What does Apple have to do with WhatsApp upgrades? Apple has no control over what Facebook/Meta does.

Update for WhatsApp was a downgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.