Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

how to stop auto fill in preview app

Looking a way to stop autofill from trying to complete fields in a pdf opened in Preview.

(And if you have a solution to stop the blue up arrow indicating cap lock from popping up without use Terminal I would be greatly appreciative.)

Thanks

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Dec 18, 2023 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2024 11:10 AM

Sadly since you included two questions in one post, and since the second less important question was answered, I don't think we're getting an answer on the real question.

I'm using standard IRS fill-in PDFs to do my taxes, and darned Preview keeps wanting to fill my cell phone number into the "Name(s) Shown on Return" field at the top of every page. Apple, PLEASE LET US TURN THIS OFF!!!!!!!!!!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2024 11:10 AM in response to gwowk

Sadly since you included two questions in one post, and since the second less important question was answered, I don't think we're getting an answer on the real question.

I'm using standard IRS fill-in PDFs to do my taxes, and darned Preview keeps wanting to fill my cell phone number into the "Name(s) Shown on Return" field at the top of every page. Apple, PLEASE LET US TURN THIS OFF!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 21, 2024 9:09 AM in response to mrizzello

I was all set to celebrate when this worked at first, but now the micro-pop-up is back. Bless you for trying, hopefully it works for some people!!

The autofill thing even persists over the settings interstitial, that's how I know this is crap software for sure. Somebody rushed to get this out and they unleashed it on us even though it's ****. I'm literally about to look in my VMWare Windows emulator for a way to fill out a **** form, otherwise I'm going to have to print it out and fill it in by hand. I can not handle this useless interruption, it's literally not going to have the right suggestion for any field on the form I'm trying to fill out and it's only going to get my blood boiling to have to deal with it all the way through..

Apr 10, 2024 12:58 PM in response to mrizzello

I tried what mrizzello (above) suggested - including following it with quitting and restarting Preview. I also did a full restart on my laptop. Still get the "helpful" popups that try to fill in blanks on pdfs.

Apple - I understand that this feature is intended to be helpful - but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us a way to TURN IT OFF!!! I use Preview for filling out work reports -every-week-.

System details: MacBook Air 2022 (M2 chip), running Sonoma 14.4

Dec 18, 2023 8:08 PM in response to gwowk

gwowk wrote:

(And if you have a solution to stop the blue up arrow indicating cap lock from popping up without use Terminal I would be greatly appreciative.)

There is a temporary method…

1. Press the Caps Lock key
  2. Click on the indicator which turns off Caps Lock
  3. Press the Caps Locks key again
  4. Type

It will remain in ALL CAPS UNTIL YOU PRESS CAPS LOCK AGAIN.

how to stop auto fill in preview app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.