Compressor 4.7 Woes

Has anyone else had issues with Compressor 4.7? Many times when I click START BATCH it has a pop-up stating "Could not add to queue" and then of course nothing happens. Moreover sometimes when exporting using a Compressor preset in Final Cut Pro, the resulting file with have an occasional freeze in the playback. This spot ends up glitching on Youtube if it's uploaded. None of this was an issue before 4.7. I always use my own presets inside and outside of Compressor.

I was dumb and did not keep the previous version of Compressor when I updated, as there usually aren't any issues with Compressor updates. But now I just have to sit back and wait until they fix this, hopefully before 2024 is finished.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Ventura 13.5.2

Posted on Dec 21, 2023 6:48 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 27, 2023 8:19 AM in response to Joe Redifer

4.7 is the latest, and I'm not seeing many issues, really. You're the first with this issue across several forums, so I doubt it's a bug, but some glitch in the system as a whole. But fear not! Well, not just yet...

Here's the standard Compressor repair process, sometimes works, sometimes not.

First, go to Compressor's Settings > Advanced tab.

Click Reset Queue.

Cancel Jobs.

Do this again but this time select Repair Compressor.

Quit, reboot your Mac, launch Compressor, test.

If you have Droplets you've created in previous versions of Compressor, in that same Advanced pane, select Update Droplets. This should be done every time you update Compressor.

You can also launch Compressor while holding the Opt+Cmd keys together to delete the preference files, that often helps, also. Be aware that it will warn you that your custom settings will be deleted, but this does NOT include the custom presets you've created. If you wanted to be safe, user folder>Library>Application Support > Compressor, right-click that folder, from the pop-up menu, compress it. There, you have a zip backup copy in case something goes wrong, but I've never see custom presets disappear when deleting preferences files. But, Apple's stuff is all just weird and you never know.

Jan 2, 2024 8:55 PM in response to BenB

Thanks for your reply, Ben. After reading your reply, I did each of those steps including deleting the prefs and restarting. I've also tried making new export presets just in case the current one was corrupted. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference, just moved the trouble spot to a different part of the same video. I might try exporting H.264 instead of H.265 and see if it has a similar issue. For right now I exported to ProRes 422HQ and am making a file with Handbrake which is much slower than Compressor. I'd upload the ProRes file directly to Youtube if it weren't 455+ GB or if I had symmetrical upload speeds.

Jan 4, 2024 8:19 PM in response to BenB

Yes, I've been exporting from Final Cut Pro directly using an export preset. But I've also tried exporting a ProRes and encoding that directly in Compressor itself. So far I've seen it on two different video clips, both ProRes 422HQ sourced (from an Atomos Ninja V). Exporting from Final Cut Pro using H.264 instead of HEVC seems to work fine.

Compressor 4.7 Woes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.