Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Screen burn issue on my iPhone 15

My newly bought iphone 15 plus is having screen burning issues, i can see apps icon at every screen mostly in dark backgrounds.

i sent my iphone to care centre and they did the restoration as they mentioned it is just software issue which is not and still it did not help.

Attaching screen after restoration:

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Plus

Posted on Dec 23, 2023 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2023 11:45 AM

Hi! I have a similar problem with my iPhone 15 plus, where I can see the top icons (battery, WiFi, cellular) “burned” on the screen, as well as the home bar. I don’t know if this is software related or not, but it is quite weird :/

12 replies

Dec 23, 2023 1:35 AM in response to nikhilesh195

Here are some common solutions you can attempt:

1. Follow the Apple article to resolve the issue --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen ...
  2. If not resolved; please follow the steps in the following link for support with this issue: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly
  3. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  4. Make sure you have the latest updates installed. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  5. You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, following the steps in this article.
    1. You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
    2. The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
    3. Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures. 
    4. You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
    5. Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.
    6. Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of the above issues:
  6. Please follow the steps in the following Apple Video for support with this issue:

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Dec 24, 2023 11:30 AM in response to nikhilesh195

Can you tell us if the "burn" goes away after a while or if it shows at the same intensity always? In my case, when I use dark mode, I can see an image retention (very common in OLED screens) of the cellular, Wi-fi, battery icons, and the home bar that goes away after a couple of minutes if those areas are showing another image. When I use the clear mode, this problem usually goes away (since those pixels are showing black most of the time). On the rest of the screen, I can't see anything in particular.

If this is a software problem, my theory is that the iOS code for iPhone 15 (not the pro models) probably doesn't have the fix for the display image retention that happened to the pros a couple of months ago. If this is the case, I hope they can fix it soon with an iOS update.

If the burn that you referred to is not going away, maybe it might not be image retention, but something worse. Do you know if you left your phone showing the home screen for a long period at max brightness? Regardless of the reason, Apple should replace your phone or your screen without questioning, since OLED burns on iPhones are rare, and since your phone is still covered by the warranty. Maybe you could try another Apple store.

Anyway, I will also schedule an appointment at Apple to see if this problem is normal behavior or not, and I will update you about it :)

Dec 25, 2023 12:54 AM in response to lDenyel

Hey IDenyel, in my case initially it was like it used to fade away with time , but now I can see it stays on the screen, if I open some apps or anything with dark background I can those images, I went to apple they mentioned it was software issue so they did restoration but still it is coming, I am requesting apple to replace my phone but it seems they are not entertaining my request, the reason why I am asking to replace is this is brand new phone, since the first week I can see this issue, I basically paid for the services what apple should give in case when it’s their fault.

I will update too what happens next. Thanks!! :)

Screen burn issue on my iPhone 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.